Article Marketing: How to write an Introductory Paragraph.
Here are some brilliant examples of my very own “My Story” Ultimate “Template” Intros. Straight from my personal swipe file…
One of the most challenging aspects of creating any ad or sales letter is “transitioning” a prospect from the headline through the intro and into the body of your story. And it’s critical. After all, if you don’t follow up your carefully thought out headline with a compelling opening paragraph, there’s a good chance you’re leaving money on the table as a result.
I call the following “hanging” intros. Because they leave the reader “hanging”…… for more information.
They’re like little teasers. They dangle a carrot. Entice you to go further. You’ll notice the best writers are constantly doing this. “Teasing” you, leading you on. Just opening the door a crack so you “just have” to peek in and step through (or read on) to find out more.
Here’s a handful of fill-in-the-blank opening lines templates.
- Two years from now you could be (good thing: like working from home and spending time with your family). Or you could be (bad thing: stuck in the same old 9-5 rut). The choice is yours.
This helps the reader do what in NLP circles is referred to as forward pacing. It also gently suggests that if the reader doesn’t gain the help of your service, then they could miss out on a significant benefit.
- If you’ve ever wanted to (benefit: like “escape the MLM roundabout”) then this will be the most important message you ever read.
Positions the letter powerfully upfront with a compelling benefit. You’ll notice this one used A LOT.
- Quite frankly, membership in CarbonCopyPRO is not for everyone.
This is a great exclusivity opening. Do you qualify? Are you good enough for this opportunity. It reverses the normal sales process. American Express had this as their ‘control’ (winning sales letter) for years.
- If you are thinking of investing in a network marketing business — Don’t!
Ever wondered whether a purchase is the right decision for you or not? What would you do if you read this in a letter? Would it encourage you to want to know “why not?” and read the next paragraph?
- It was the winter of 2007. I was slumped at my computer and the world as I knew it was crashing down round me.
This is a good opening for a My Story about — for example — how your shares fell during the recent global financial crisis. Notice Jay uses this one.
- My name is <your name>. I’m an (ex-plumber/housewife/home business owner). I’m not a professional ad writer. But what I have to share with you is so extraordinary and so powerful, I decided to write to you myself. So bear with me a little.
Once again, you are showing your vulnerability. And building trust with your audience. And this opening also breaks down the reader’s resistance, so they’ll at least listen to what you have to say.
- Have you ever wondered why __________________?
Have you ever wondered why some network marketers seem to sponsor more people without even trying while others follow their upline’s advice to the letter but still seem to get nowhere?
- Would you like __________________?
Would you like to join a group of network marketing millionaires who utilise the premium sales and marketing system on theplanet?
- Did you know ______________________________?
- Let me ask you a question ______________________________?
Let me ask you a question: Do you ever hear yourself say, “I wish I could get on top of all the bills and have more time to spend with the children?”
- Now here’s a common concern …
How do you harness the obvious revenue-generating benefits of the internet – without spending a fortune in money and years of time in trial and error mode?
- Bill King and son, Stephen, were facing a dilemma, common to many network marketers.
They had a great product on their hands. Something that had universal appeal. But they were having trouble launching it into the marketplace.
- It’s a conversation I’ve had time and time again.
Me: Do you make money in your current network marketing company?
Disillusioned MLMer: It’s a little hard to say.
Me: How do you mean?
Disillusioned MLMer: Well, the phone doesn’t ring, but of course it does take a while to build a business and my upline says I just have to keep cold calling. It’s a numbers game after all.
Me: Yeah. Right. Good luck with that.
- If it’s done well, Google Advertising can be an extremely cost effective way of attracting new customers to your business.
However, done poorly, this is one sure way to waste large amounts of money in an amazingly short period!
- Go on: admit it… Most landing pages provided by network marketing companies make you yawn so hard you fear your jaw’s about to snap!
You know, the ubiquitous picture of the board, standing rigidly to attention. The bland letter from the CEO, explaining his company’s “revolutionary” policy of putting its customers first. And the picture of corporate headquarters, complete with a fleet of trucks, apparently hijacked by the Olympic precision parking team! Fortunately, there’s no law that says your website has to be a printed alternative to Rohypnol. If you follow the simple steps outlined in this article, you can deftly transform it into a super salesperson for your organisation.
- Let me make a prediction.Two years from now you could be (good thing: like working from home and spending time with your family). Or you could be (bad thing: stuck in the same old 9-5 rut). The choice is yours.
(This is an extension to number one. Careful with this one it’s a little “righteous” sounding. Still, everyone is interested in what’s going to happen in the future. After all, that’s why psychics are so popular. So when you have some useful insight into what will happen in the future, why not leverage off our behavioural need to know).
So there you have it. Some different ways you can open an article, email, letter or paragraph or chapter or page or My Story. All are proven to work. Mix and match these in your own sales letters and ads. And remember, give the opening paragraph and headline in your ad the attention it deserves, because it’s one of the most important elements of your promotion.
Solo Ads Agency - the best place to buy solo ads since 2009