Blog Mobile Optimization: How to Optimize Your Blog for Mobile Visitors
Are you aware that in 2010, over 500 million people accessed the internet using their mobile phones? And that more than half of that figure had visited the web before the ending of May this year? So why have you not optimized your blog for mobile viewing? Why have you not optimized your site for your mobile visitors?
Just today I was trying to view the blogs of my friends online and I found out that out of all the ten sites I visited, just one of them had optimized his blog for mobile viewership. Incidentally he was the one I asked about one of the plugins last year.
When you see big players like Google and Microsoft spending huge amount of money on the mobile web, you should know that something is up. I am continually amazed at the r&d facebook does on its mobile web and it goes to show that there is something those who are not optimizing their sites for mobile viewing are missing.
Reasons You Should Optimize Your Blog for Mobile Viewing
- Explosion of Mobile Internet: If you don’t know that there is a surge in the use of Smartphones, tablets, mobile video devices and other hand-held devices, then we need to hire a team of experts to pull you out of the age you are in and usher you into this age and time. lol Make no mistake about it, according to a recent research, by 2014 the number of mobile users is likely to surpass the number of desktop users. Now you know where you stand, huh?
So I say to you, stop losing traffic!
- Ease of Access: This is the age of speed. People are busy, most times busy doing nothing and are living such a fast life. People are constantly on the move and they want to get things on the spot. Be it when they are in buses, train, cars, planes etc, they want to be able to access the valuable info you have displayed on your site. Therefore if you are not providing them an on-the-spot access to your sites, you are leaving a lot of traffic on the table, and losing sales in the process.
- Ease of Viral Marketing: The social media giants, facebook and twitter, have seen the vast increase in the mobile population and are taking advantage of it. For instance more than 75% of mobile users find their way to the mobile networks. More than a third of those having a facebook account make use of facebook mobile.
Therefore if you want to make your contents easier and faster to share, it is compulsory that you have a mobile-optimized site. This makes it more likely to be shared. And like I said in my last post, How to Generate Tremendous Traffic from Facebook, more shares would help your chances in the search engines.
- SEO opportunities: A couple days before writing my post on How to Get to the First Page of Google fast, I discovered that I was the second result on the first page of Google for a particular post, but when I got to my laptop I found out that it was 8th on the first page. Left me wondering and I thought it was just Google’s instability. However I have since learnt that many search engines now have different rankings for desktop search results and mobile search results. Mobile sites garner a separate set of links, because they provide additional layers of targeted, useful content.
Don’t worry if you don’t understand that. :) All you need to know at this point is that having an effective mobile site improves your ranking across all results.
Plugins to Use for Blog Mobile Optimization
One of the reasons I absolutely love wordpress is because of the array of plugins it offers. Below is a list of plugins that would be sure to help in optimizing your blog for mobile viewing. Feel free to choose one of them and join our world.
- WPtouch: Nice plugin! If you use a iphone, ipod, or android, you would find it useful because it seems it was made for them.
- WordPress Mobile Edition: This is a cool plugin too. It has the additional feature of allowing you access to enter the user agents to display or not display the mobile version to.
- MobilePress: Somehow I think this plugin is the best for now. Of course I may be wrong cos I’m no techie geek. This plugin does not just show if you are using a mobile phone, but what kind of phone you are using and can thus display your blog accordingly. So if you are using an iphone and a blackberry, and you use both to access my site, you can be shown different version of my site as a result of their different capabilities. I love that feature.
That’s it folks! Optimizing your site for mobile viewing comes with some awesome advantage and it’s my hope that the next time I visit your site using my phone, I would be happy to navigate faster and easier, and it would look good to my eyes, because you have optimized it.
Do me a favour and share this post with as many people as possible in your followership on the social networks. VOTE, SHARE, TWEET this post. Thanks! :) And hey, you know I’d love the hear your thoughts on this. Let’s talk in the comments’ section
Do you know how to generate 25-30 Quality Leads on a daily basis for your business? Well I do! CLICK HERE to get hold of my FREE video series.
To your Online Success,