Spam Be Gone: How I Went From Hundreds Of Spam Comments Per Day To Zero
Do you ever get annoyed when you put a lot of thought and effort into writing a great comment on someone's blog and then press the "Submit" button, and your comment simply disappears into the thin air?
No "Your Comment Is Awaiting Moderation". No "Your Comment Will Become Visible Upon Approval".
Or worse yet, you see a blank page and wonder what the heck just happened and is this blog worth coming back to for commenting? After all, look what they just did to you!
On the other hand, you go to check the comment folder on your own blog and see hundreds, if not thousands, of comments that are busting your spam folder at the seams!
Read more on how to become an expert commentator:
- 7 Ways to Keep Your Blog Comments Out of Spam
- 7 Tips to Make Your Comment Stick Out Like a Sore Thumb
I've been on both sides myself and I know how frustrating it is to deal with either situation.
What's the problem here?
Well, Akismet is.
That's the plugin that most blogs use to filter their spam comments from legitimate ones.
However, as we all know, it makes a few mistakes here and there... QUITE a few, to put it mildly.
I was immediately convinced that it was the best thing since sliced bread and quickly installed it on my blog, getting rid of Akismet in the process.
Result: I am in spam-free heaven, eating my bagels and cream cheese (he-he).
Here's the plugin link before I forget, by the way: :)
Why Use the GrowMap Anti-Spambot Plugin (G.A.S.P)?
- No false positives – your favorite commentators and new readers WILL be able to easily comment in your blog.
- Blocks spam that Akismet was letting through. We are getting ZERO bot spam. Only those commenting manually who check the “I am not a spammer" box can leave comments.
- Easier for commentators than using a Captcha or math plugin – never a “wrong” answer that isn’t wrong or a problem with cookies!
Why I Gladly Said Good-Bye to Akismet?
- My regular readers will never be flagged as spammers again.
- No more "what happened to my comment?" questions; no more blank pages; no other rude behavior towards my commentators.
- No more going through spam trying to fish out one or two valid comments.
Why Not Use A Captcha or Math Plugin?
- They are annoying.
- Mistakes are easily made.
- Even when the answer is correct, it can give you a false negative.
- Many readers just won't bother!
Make your blog more user-friendly and declutter your admin panel from spam. Here's the link to the GrowMap Anti-Spambot Plugin (G.A.S.P) one more time:
Love it or hate it? Comment to show me that you're alive!