Teenagers are all thumbs
When it comes to communicating, teenagers are all thumbs.
Teens are now sending about 60 text messages a day on their phones, a 20% jump since 2009, while the number using their cell phones to talk has fallen, according to a new survey out today from the Canadian Life Project.
• 75% of all teens use text messaging, which is the dominant form of communication for their age group, among one another and with others, such as parents.
• Older teen girls are “the most enthusiastic texters,” sending twice as many as teen boys. But boys of all ages are texting more and First Nation teens have had the largest recent increase in the use of texting, now sending a median number of 80 per day.
• 63% of teens say they exchange text message every day with people in their lives; only 39% say they talk on the phone with people every day and just 35% say they engage in face-to-face socializing outside of school.
• Only 14% of teens say they talk daily with friends on a landline phone every day and just 6% use e-mail daily.
• 23% of youth aged 12-17 say they have a smartphone —— with Web access, a touch screen, media player, etc.
• While 77% of teens now have a cell phone, ownership has dropped among 12-13-year-olds, down from 66% in 2009 to 57% last year.
The implications of these findings are profound — for education, communication between generations, for the communications of the future and for our use of language, since texting has its own lexicon. The research also raises questions about the 23% of kids who don’t own a cell phone and what that means for them socially during those often-difficult teenage years.
In 40 or so years, today’s teenage generation will produce a Prime Minister who will presumably have grown up with text-messaging as his or her primary means of communicating.
So will the inaugural address just pop up on phones: OMG TAM! IMHO we r GR8! I promise not 2 b LOPSOD! TTFN!*
(*For those who need translation: Oh my God, thanks a million! In my humble opinion, we are great! I promise not to be long on promises, short on delivery. Ta ta for now!)
Don't wait to start discovering your own entrepreneurial spirit.
Take action today!
My diverse background, extensive resources, industry knowledge and experience will help you bridge the gap. I will provide you with a network of experts, other entrepreneurs and business owners. We’ll help put the puzzle together to make your business dreams a reality.
Keep marketing, keep making money, keep empowering others and stay tuned for future updates.
Please do me a favor to share,retweet & comment.
The key to success is how well you learn to market yourself and your company by connecting with quality people on a daily basis.
Empowering Tomorrows Entrepreneurs Today
Independent Marketing Executive