WHAT IS YOUR "FIRE"?
Some of us know exactly what we want to do with our lives by age five. "I want to be a fireman!", "I want to be a doctor!", "I want to be a teacher!" and so on. The rest of us don't have a clue and live our lives like a leaf in a stream sometimes flowing down the center, other times bouncing off rocks or caught in a crevice going nowhere.
What's the difference between us and them? They may say "I want to be a teacher" but what they mean (their WHY) is "I want to help others to learn." They know what they want and WHY! They are also willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill their WHY.
Do you know what you want out of life? Is your answer to that question, "I want to make a lot of money"? Well, how do you plan to do that? Making lots of money is NOT A GOAL! It's not even a real "WHY", which is some reason to keep you going, something that lights a fire under you giving you the enthusiasm and commitment to keep going no matter what.
Ask yourself the following questions...
- Do you like your job?
- Do you like the people you work with? ...work for?
- Do you have a hobby? ...enough time to pursue it?
- What makes you feel really good?
- What makes you feel excited? ...enthusiastic?
- What if you had all the money in the world, what would you be doing?
- What problem scares you to death that more money could solve?
- If you had all the money in the world, what problem could you solve?
- If you had all the time in the world, what would you do?
- Other than money, what are you looking for?
- How do you feel about yourself right now doing what you are doing?
- How do you feel when you help someone else?
- What gets you emotional? Even angry?
- What would you like most to give to your family?
What would motivate you to get off the couch...turn off the TV?
We all have a list of "WHYS" to justify why we are doing what we are doing. The problem with our current list of "WHYS" is they aren't providing us with the happiness we all seek. Here are some of them:
- It's the only job I could find...what else was I going to do?
- My father was a dentist...he expected me to be one.
- No one in my family has ever made a lot of money.
- If I had my way I'd work at home but I need money now. It takes too long.
- I don't know how to do anything else.
- Going back to school takes too long and costs too much.
- I have to work so sometimes I have to miss a family activity. I have no choice. and so on.
Make a new list of "WHYS" and THEN seek actions to make them happen.
- Mary wants to spend more time with family so she can enjoy her children while they're growing up.
- She also experiences good feelings when helping people, especially when teaching them how to do something.
- She's terrified about not being able to pay her bills.
- Her job is boring. People at work unpleasant. Pay is not so good.
- She loves to travel. New countries bring out excitement, enthusiasm. But she has little time to travel.
- "I want to spend more quality time with my family and enjoying my children's childhood."
- "I want the time to help others learn new things."
- "I want the income I need to meet my needs."
- "I want the time and money to travel at least twice a year."
- "I want a job with flexible hours, the pay I need to do the things I want to do."
Once you are clear about your "WHYS", keep them handy at all times. These "WHYS" are what will motivate you to take action to do whatever it takes to be successful in what you decide to do.
The 'WHYS" are your "FIRE" to keep you going so you don't give up!
Email Your "WHYS" to Me! We can go over them together and find ways to fulfill them.