Top 10 Phone Prospecting Tips From a Guy Who Barely Speaks English
Hi guys and girls,
If you have heard me speak English, you will instantly know that it’s my second language. I’m not ashamed or anything, but it’s surely one of my disadvantages.
Well, you know, that barrier is supposed to create some inner fear on the prospecting matter, but fortunately I’m an extrovert who just doesn’t talk as much as an extrovert is supposed to talk.
So even though, I like to make friends, I used to dread making calls to my prospects even if they already know who I am, and ready to get started with me.
I just couldn’t get over my fear to make that fuckin call. I’m sure I’ve lost some locked-in sales because of it….
Sometimes I feel frustrated about it. And sometimes I feel good about it because that could just be my unique story to tell people that you don’t even need to speak good english to succeed in this industry.
Think about it, let’s say you spend the next 3 years learning chinese, and expand your mlm business to China or Taiwan. And it worked out, you cracked the code to develop a marketing strategy to recruit millions of chinese people into your downline without knowing what 幹 means, and without knowing how to order a bowl of noodle in chinese.
Don’t you think that would be a great story, a powerful unique selling proposition to sell your “make-chinese-money-without-speaking-chinese” marketing strategy?
Ewen Chia has made it big in this english speaking affiliate marketing industry without speaking english correctly. Just so you know, he banks in millions every year in affiliate sales, and some people don’t even understand him at times when he speaks english.
His story is inspiring to you and many other people. It should inspire you as well because you’ve got everything you already need to succeed in this industry.
Can you speak English?
Can you write english?
Do you know “cat” is a singular and “cats” is a plural? You’ve got one of the biggest advantage already to succeed and make money online. You just don’t know it.
Is it harder to overcome the fear of phone prospecting when you know sometime you have to pronounce words repeatedly so your prospects know what you’re saying? or is it harder to learn some simple html codes, so you can build backlinks to your website to get you better ranking and more traffic?
If you only have two options to make money in this industry: Call a guy and use a foreign language to recruit him? Or write 2 articles today to get you more traffic? which one would you pick? Guess what? I have to do both to succeed. If I can do it, you can’t make any excuses.
I hate it when people say, “I hate my dead end job, but I cant quit it and start a new business.” YES you fucking can. You’re just avoiding the pain.
Your pain overthrew your pleasure. Just like what Jonathan Budd said in his wonderful post
YOU DESERVE THE LIFE YOU’RE LIVING, IF YOU’RE TOO AFRAID TO CHANGE IT.
YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST DO THAT WHICH YOU ARE AFRAID TO DO.
He has spoken the truth. I know it. Because that is what I did, and why I’m writing this post. I was a victim of my inner fear. But not anymore, I actually get on the phone with my prospects. I made myself talk to them like they’re my buddies.
I believe every one including you and me has to overcome his or her biggest fear to progress, to succeed, and extend your personal potentials limitlessly.
Utilize your advantages and get rid of your disadvantages. ESL(english as a second language) is my disadvantage.
I challenge it.
I face it.
And I will overcome it.
And I know ESL is going to be my advantage in the near future.
I can literally communicate with more people than all of you guys using chinese. I can overcome the english barrier, and mold it into my marking USP.
The other day, when I was on the phone with Jerry Chen, he said something that really caused a paradigm shift in me. He told me how important is it to actually get on the phone and build a relationship with your prospects. I don’t know if I’m jerry’s prospect, but he did build a relationship with me in 20 mins on the phone. Jerry has used the same tactics to build relationships with so many high-up leaders in our industry. My hats off to him when I found out he came to the states at the same age as I came back to the states.
Phone prospecting is one of the things I feared. So I took actions to change that.
- I bought black belt recruiting.
- I watched people’s videos on how to recruit prospects over the phone.
- I listened to the entire 4-5 hours of Tom Challan’s recruiting system.
- I bought books about cold-calling, closing sales on the phone.
- I bought Todd Falcone’s phone prospecting course.
- I studied it.
Now I’ve got something valuable to share with you.
In this article, I’m establishing myself as the guru of phone prospecting with a chinese accent.
Yes and I’m also the only guy that can teach you how to rank on google even if your english sucks.
But I will leave it to another day so I can have more content on my new blog.
If you’re like me who fears of calling prospects, these tips will drastically help you overcome your fear, and help you build rapport with your prospects…(these tips are are NOT applicable to plain cold-calling, these tips are purposed to to use to call people who gave you their phone numbers.)
1.You should write down 5-10 questions in bullet points on what you want to ask the prospects, remember questions!
These questions should be sincerely friendly questions like “why do you want to start a business”, “how are you doing in your current job” “what do you do?” “what is your budget”
Prepare answers for possible typical objections, like “how much money are you making?” “How does this system work?” “Is it a scam”
2. Before you call your prospects, take a deep deep breathe 2-5 times. It will help relax your voice, muscle, and mind. Try to get rid of your instant fear right here before you call them. Tell yourself this “even if this prospect doesn’t like me, there are millions out there who are looking for my business, and I will never see this person ever again, I have nothing to lose but everything to gain”
3. Talk to your prospects like you talk to your friends. They are not your store customers, you don’t have to be formal, they are your future business partners. First time calling example: “Hello XXX, this is Eric Su calling you back about starting a XXX business. how are you doing today?
Second time calling example “hey XXX, this is Eric, how’s it going? Did you get to attend our business overview call yesterday?
Remember, they are just normal people like you. Put yourself in their shoes, what will make them feel more comfortable talking on the phone with you?
4. Ask a lot of questions. Ask a lot of questions. Ask a lot of questions. This is very important. Even if you’re like me who suck at taking control over the phone conversation. By asking questions, you will more likely position yourself as the leading conversationalist, and gain control back to your hand.
If he’s talking and asking you questions, interject him!!
You’re the one who’s holding the ticket to financial freedom. Not him.
Tell him or her ” hey XXX, I want to ask you some questions first to see if you qualify to work with me, then you can ask me whatever questions you have before you get started. Ok?”
And one of the benefits of asking a lot of questions is that you can avoid “awkward phone silence.”
5. Avoid long conversation when he or she is telling you about his or her entire life. Some prospects who are not motivated enough often tell you a lot about how many times they were scammed. And how terrible their lives are. Or some people just need a friend…not a business…
I’m not cruel or discriminate people.
When you fall into the irrelavant conversation-marathon, its like someone is annoying you with his boring story when you’re in a cell phone store trying to run a business.
I’ve seen it on my friend…and there were probablly 5-6 people including me trying to use some of my friend’s help on purchasing a cellphone. and yeah everyone was pissedwaiting in line.
6. Don’t talk too much about the features of your business.
You’re not selling your business at this point. You’re qualifying a new business partner. Tell them to go to your website to sell them.
Don’t pressure your prospects that they must do this, do that, even when your prospects already told you they absolutely can’t do it.
Don’t scare your prospects away, cuz some people are timid and fragile.
7.If they don’t have any money to start a business, they are automatically not qualified. Get out of the conversation ASAP.
Not to be mean to anything, if someone goes to a car dealership trying to buy a car without any money. Why would a car salesman waste his time on this prospect?
You can politely offer your assistance on generating some ideas to get money to start a business. Or tell them to call you back when they get the money ready.
8. Try to connect with your prospects. Figure out the common interests you have with your prospects.
- People like to talk to people who are like them.
- Do you have some of the same interests, hobbies, or anything in common? traveling, sports, TV shows, food.
- Have you been to where he or she lives? You can relate to them geographically.
- Do you know anything about what he does or do? you can ask them questions about what is it that he does for living.
- Be curious of what your prospects do.
- Be interested in what your prospects like.
- Does she have kids? “I have a new born kid too, and I haven’t been able to sleep good for the past 2 days.”
- Does he play basketball? “Did you play in college?” “I think the Lakers will beat the Celtics.” “I’m a Kobe fan too!”
9. Get your prospect pumped and close the deal.
- Ask them what their income goal with this business is.
- Ask them how many hours will he be willing spend on building the business.
- Ask them if they have any more questions, if not, lets get started.
- “If you really want to make $3000 in the next 30 days, let’s not waste any time, lets get you started so I can help you meet your income goal.”
10. Handle objections….well…I hate objections as much as you do. cuz most of the objections are bad. Bad questions. Bad reasons. Bad excuses.
When you’re handling objections, try not to be nervous. Still position yourself as a 4000 meters high mountain.
I know it’s hard, I feel you.
Know your shit. This is the least you can do. Prepare for objections. do your homework. Know your compensation plan. Know your company.
Try to reverse the objection onto the prospects themselves. Answer their objections with objections.
I’m not an expert in properly handling objections, but I will share with you what I was taught and what I’ve learned.
Q:How much money are you making?
A:It’s not about how much I make XXX, it’s about you my friend, it’s about what you’re going to do, what you’re going to do to change your life.
Q: Is it a scam or pyramid scheme?
A: Of course it’s not a scam, our company is regulated by the government. It’s been in business for XXX years. Pyramid scheme is illegal because there are no products involved. Our products could easily stand for themselves on the market.
Q: I’ve tried mlm before but it didn’t work for me.
A: Most of the mlm companies are teaching the old-school obsolete prospecting tactics, we teach you how to generate your own free lead using the internet. You’re given the exact training, system and tools that many leaders in our company are using. And you won’t be left behind working with me. period.
bonus tip 11: Smile. Laugh. Create laughter. Make your prospects happy. Make their buying experiences enjoyable and fun.
I hope these tips will help you get an understand what youhave to do on the phone.
Get over your fear and start calling your prospects.
Leave your comments below