You Just Started A Business. Do This First. Please!
You have a product or service to sell. You want to make money. Now what?
How are you going to get the word out, makes sales and get customers?
What is the first thing you must do to make money and start your business off on the right foot?
Let’s talk about 4 things you SHOULDN’T do first.
- Should you contact every person you’ve ever known in your life and try to “sell” them? Only if you want to join the NFL club-- No Friends Left, at least Not For Long! This will only irritate your friends.
- Don’t start bugging everyone you come into contact with. Everyone is NOT your customer.
- Same #1 and #2 except online--Don’t start facebooking and tweeting every person you know about your stuff. 99% of them don’t care! It will be annoying and seen as spam. (not good for your rep.)
- Don’t set up a blog and start posting every day.
Does this fly in the face of everything you've been told? Here’s why.
The first thing you must do is...
Determine who you’re selling to. This is called your “niche” or your “target market”.
Write down a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) that answers 3 things:
- WHO? Who wants what you’re selling?
- WHAT? What are they searching for? What do they want?
- WHY? Why do they want it? What end result are they searching for? (Someone shopping for a drill, does not want another drill in their garage. They want a HOLE in something).
Answer these questions first. Then when you facebook, tweet, youtube and blog, you’re content will be effective. It will be relevant. It will speak to your audience and they’ll listen! You will then be able to start the conversation about your products and services.
If you want help narrowing down your niche, leave a comment below. I answer every one.
If this post “spoke” to you, share it with your friends on facebook and twitter! Thank you!