Step-by-Step to be Popular Online
1) Keep the same username. When you register with social networking sites, forums, your blog, etc...keep the same name so you will be recognized in many places. It works. People remember me all the time and add me as a friend or follow me if they know who I am. I also have never had a problem keeping the same username that I started over 10 years ago.
2) Make sure after you have your domain and username, you come up with a unique theme or gimmick to entice your potential audience. Something that will keep them entertained and interested.
3) Make sure to figure out what big event, contest or free give away you are planning, after you make your username and add yourself to forums and social sites.
4) After you have followed step one and two, now its time to get busy writing your Press Release. You can submit it free to many places or if you can afford it then pay to submit to the best site on the web.
5) Your next big step is to combine steps one, two, three onto a video with your url imprinted at the bottom of your video. Make sure your video is fun and shows how working with you would be a good solution to what they are looking for.
6) Next if you are a Blogger, then post all of this on your blog. Leave blog comments on various blogs and see if other blogs are interested in posting about your story. Always make sure to submit it to various social networking sites. If you do not have any luck, you could always advertise.
7) I would also recommend having a banner made with whatever event you are doing. You can have it posted on many sites for that month (preferably highly trafficked sites) of your online event or giveaway.
8) If you are doing a giveaway make sure to submit to Contest Blogs and Contest Bloggers.
I think that is a good way to get started, I also recommend that you make sure that you and the website you are promoting are always in the lime light online by following those steps.