We Need You to Lead Us

Read More: Leadership  |  Mindset  |  Personal Development

This article is an addendum or a response to Are You Posting Crap on the Magnetic Sponsoring Community? and Why I Love It When People Post Crap at Social Networking Sites

What Everyone Wants In a Leader

What most people want in a leader isn’t what you might think. It’s even more difficult to find.

What most people want in a leader is someone who listens.

There seems to be a force for mediocrity more than anything else. Seems there are many mediocre "leaders" who find it easier to go with the crowd and follow the trends. It’s a slippery slope. Expect for it to happen to the best of us. Maybe it's complacency.

A leader is someone who doesn’t necessarily go with or goes against the trends. But instead, the leader listens, and will take value in what she hears, and then makes a decision even if it goes against what she’s just heard. Leaders always listen.

There seems to be this myth that you can simply “vision board” or have strong belief or make goals or find something that makes it easier.  And with these acts alone,  people will follow you. They’ll line up and support what you do. This couldn't be further from the truth.

But the path to leadership will be met with resistance. In my marketing experience, I have found that as soon as I start to make progress with such things, I’m faced with even more resistance. The further I reach, the more resistance.

This is what I mean when  I say there seems to be a force for mediocrity. The question has to be continually asked, What is it that sets me apart from the rest? What do I really offer?

Leaders choose their actions from a position above themselves.  Meaning, their decisions are for the greater good, even if it means they will suffer for it personally.

Mediocrity is blinding. This is why when leaders listen, when they pay attention and go against, or contradict what they’ve listened to, everyone stops – even if it’s only for a slight moment. You can’t help but internalize the lessons they offer.

For Beginners Just Getting Started and Others Who Haven't Listened

Think of one person…or listen to one person. Would she love it? Enough to tell ten other people because it will help them, not you?

The moral - When you fixate on doing as little as possible to get as much as possible, you end up with nothing at all. Focus on the exact opposite.

Why do you think articles such as …
Are You Posting Crap on the Magnetic Sponsoring Community? or Mike Dillard and Robert Kiyosaki Call or What To Do When Prospects Say ______? get so many “reads?”

It’s because the authors are listeners who have fought off mediocrity. They haven’t given into the trends or the forces for mediocrity.

Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work. Ironically, the real leaders get the most attention, we draw nearer to listen to them, and that’s because they’ve heard enough of our babble.

And it's not because they didn't "hear" the person.  It's because they listened very well, and know how to analyze what's being said to get to the core truth of the matter, rather than the superficial stuff that could easily be agreed with.

Take a look at what Mike Dillard has created here. BetterNetworker.com is our platform for spreading ideas that work. We have all the resources to make the choice to listen and lead our own following.

Login or register to post comments  |  Views Views: 2,132  |  Comments Comments: 13

About the Author: Eric Walker

Member Since: 05/06/2008

I'm a Distributor For:: SendOutCards

Other Company: Eric Walker Marketing LLC

Industry: Education

Primary Web Site: http://EricLWalker.com

Comments

Leadership is the key!

Eric, great article and powerful message.

The discussion on 'Leadership' is really difficult for most people to "Follow."

I think that "listening" is one of the best words to get a person closer to knowing what leadership really is.

We have to assume someone understands the importance of leadership.  In a nutshell, if you don't learn leadership, you don't make any money (is that blunt enough?)

But as you've pointed out, it's not just the ability to "listen" that makes a leader effective in the business world.  It's also their ability to respond (rather than react) to what they hear, see and feel is going on or being said by someone or a by the marketplace itself.

Paying attention is key.  Cutting through the B.S. and all the 'noise' is vital.  That is how I understand what you mean by 'listening.'  If someone says something contrary to what you believe, instead of reacting or feeling threatened by it, let it in you.  Reflect.  Then you'll know how to respond when you're prepared to respond properly.

And people will react to that in your favor.  And the 'leaders' as well, will respond to that in your favor.  People will follow you because you're saying things and doing things that reflect upon what's really going on -- instead of defending your opportunity or products, you keep doing your thing.  And if you're listening, you'll be doing the things that attract customers and grows an organization.

Great topic!

Mike

Learn how to get people to your lead capture page and how to stand out in the crowd of poeple who attract leads in a similar fashion as you do.  Click for Lead and Attraction strategies that work!

Mike Klingler — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 12:41am

Being Rich Doesn't Make You a Leader

So many people confuse wealth for leadership, and that is not the benchmark we should be using.  Many wealthy people cut a lot of corners to get there, and there are extenuating circumstances which most people couldn't, or shouldn't duplicate.

As I've said before, I think a good step on the path to becoming a leader is when you turn someone down for your primary opportunity who is asking you to enroll them, because you know it is not a good fit, and they would most likely suffer in the long run.  Even though you may not benefit in the short term, you will be miles ahead of most people down the road.

Lane Reiss

Lane Romero-Reiss — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 12:48am

Leaders

That is a great topic I could write a book on that one but I don't have that much time. But I do agree that a good teacher does listen I guess that is why god gave Great Leaders Two Ears and One mouth.

Your Friends

Cynthia and James

Cynthia and Jam... — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 1:44pm

Great Value

Eric this has so much Value in it.  I learn something every time I read your articles What everyone wants in a Leader is reasurance they are going the right way.  And the only way a Leader will know is if he listens to his Team.

What you are saying reminds me of the Video 20 more feet.  You probably have seen it but Watch it again  I hope you do not cry as much as I did http://www.betternetworker.com/videos/view/just-20-more-steps

Your Friend for life

Enjoyed your Energy

Juanita Waterman

Juanita Waterman — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 3:50pm

The Need for Leaders

Well said, Eric.

Great leaders know how to keep an eye on what is going on around them.  They use their knowledge and skills to empower others.  A great leader is not afraid to share with you someone else's resources.  Sure, you might find so much value there that you begin to follow Leader #2.

But Leader #1 knows that success is in large part made of helping others to find the tools, resources and mentors they need to become successful as well.  It is this genuine concern for the best interests of others that  secures the position of leader.

What I am enjoying about the new outcrop of leaders in this community is that there is not a scarcity mindset.  If someone is going to be better served by another, I'm not seeing the selfish desire to keep them anyway.  Instead, they are referred to the other person who can address their needs.

This mindset creates a win-win for all.  As Frank Kern says, "If I take eight gallons out of the ocean, and you take eight gallons out...guess what?  The ocean is still there!"

I see leaders here who are perfectly happy to pour their eight gallons right back into the sea so that someone else can fill their buckets.  They know that at the end of the day, everyone's buckets will be full and the ocean will still be as majestic as ever.

Barbara Silva — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 4:51pm

Quiet but Powerful

Leaders are often the quiet but powerful ones.  They are the ones that listen to the conserns/problems of others and offer valuable solutions.  Leaders offer the best "free" advice out there and are worth following and listening too.  Leaders are not pushy, and do not shout their own adjenda everywhere.  They are the Quiet but Powerful influences in your life - we can't survive without them.

Dotty Scott — Sun, 11/23/2008 - 11:49pm

Excellent Article Eric

As usual you pick a great topic to write on. They say the only difference between successful people and unsuccessful is that the successful simply do what the unsuccessful are unwilling to do. At the first hint of resistance they throw in the towel. However as you point out this leads to mediocrity.

Listening is a great attribute no matter where you are in your journey. To paraphrase a quote: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care". Listening to people shows that you care.

Irene Kirkman — Mon, 12/22/2008 - 10:38am

Explaining the "Force of Mediocrity"

Eric,

Fantastic article.  I especially love what you describe a force of mediocrity.

My martial arts Master calls this "Human Inertia". In religious circles, this "force" is thanks to the 'prince of darkness' who tries to keep you from achieving your full potential by feeding you fear and doubt.

I wrote an article a while back giving my perspective on what this "force" actually is and how to overcome it:

Hope you don't mind me sharing, but it's crucial people understand this.

-Ferny

Ferny Ceballos — Fri, 12/26/2008 - 7:49pm

Leaders in action with Compassion...

Dear Eric,

thanks for the heart felt note. This is true Leadership quality....simple, to the point, caring sharing and teaching. Happy New Year 2009 I look forward to witnessing you and I and many others reach even greater heights in success through helping others!

Many More  Blessings are headed your way,

Suzy Q Bell

Suzy Bell — Sat, 12/27/2008 - 1:34pm

That coming from an Educator..

Eric,

It is very appropriate that you would write this article; as a teacher, I bet you would not get through any student without listening to what they have to say.

I learned a lot about listening after the birth of my son, and now I pay more attention to all my conversations.

You said it much better, but the fact is, there can't be any respect in a one-way conversation. If a leader doesn't listen, he is sure to fail its followers.

Thank you for the article, Eric!

Leonardo Saraceni — Sun, 12/28/2008 - 12:35am

Excellant.

I loved this article and I think that you really covered all what it takes. I remember the first time I read that listening makes a good leader and it just clicked. I love interacting with people because I get a chance to know what the rest of the world thinks about things of my interest. (also to mirror them)

I wish I could quote you like in the forums, but since I can't......This was informative and assuring.....just wanted to tell you thanks for saying:

"Hear is a marketing idea…whether it be the first piece of content you share, or your 25th; whether it be your opportunity, product or “system”…

“Attraction” is created when other people tell other people. It’s a passive form of recruiting. And that’s how ideas spread as well. Keep in mind that people won’t pass on or tell anybody else about YOU or your business, or your product or your “system” for you. They will only do it if it benefits them, and then they'll pass it forward."

Mike Morgan — Mon, 02/02/2009 - 8:05pm

AMEN BROTHER!

ANOTHER smart person here!  There IS hope for Better Networker after all!  HOORAY!

Huh, and you're only a guru level 3!  Some of the people with "I" next to their name should listen to YOU!

David Dutton's ... — Fri, 02/13/2009 - 8:30am

Agree 100% the point about

Agree 100% the point about Leaders getting more Leaders is the enourmous leverage you get. Focus on gettin 10 good Leaders in you main cash opportunity and avoid ones that work by huge dowlines because then you get a rubber lever, I pull the lever but by the time it gets to the bottom it's ut of my control.

Andrew Peel — Tue, 03/17/2009 - 5:28pm