Website, Blog, or Both?

Read More: Technology  |  Website Development

Okay my friends.  I have been pondering this question for some time and would love to get your feedback on this one.

I  am in the process of creating my personal website ( bought domain name, hosting service etc) and as I begin the process of how it should look, work, and all that techno stuff, I am now being advised to start a blog!  I have been looking at other people's sites to garner ideas and quite frankly, there is way to much for me to figure out.  Capture pages,  auto responders, affiliate links,  now blogs. Do I incorporate everything onto the website, make a blog a separate location with a link to it from the website??  I have not seen anything about this in recent topics thus I am reaching out to you folks to offer some guidance in this area. Bring it on!

RevnU 2Success

Claudia

Login or register to post comments  |  Views Views: 661  |  Comments Comments: 6

Limited time offer: Learn how to apply social media to your marketing plan in just 7 minutes a day.

How to easily create great looking, secure, money-making websites.

Learn the Core Concepts from the World's Best Business and Personal Development Books in Less than 15 Minutes!

About the Author: Claudia Glaser

Member Since: 12/16/2008

Industry: No Industry Selected

Primary Web Site: http://profile.to/claudiaglaser/

Comments

Right there with ya

Hi Claudia,

I totally understand what you mean. It feels a little overwhelming sometimes, learning about all the aspects of building a business, a following, a reputation. I am beginning to look at it like a puzzle...the picture doesn't become quite clear until all the piece have been put into place. I feel like I am just at the gathering stage; collecting all the information and trying to see how the pieces might one day ift together. I think one of the keys is to never stop learning.

Good luck!

Laura

Laura Downing — Wed, 02/04/2009 - 9:27pm

Thanks Laura. The good thing

Thanks Laura. The good thing is I don't get stressed, just more passionate about getting the answers! Anyone?

Claudia Glaser — Wed, 02/04/2009 - 9:42pm

Hi Claudia - Well, if you

Hi Claudia -

Well, if you have fantastico on your hosting account (most do) - a Wordpress self-hosted blog is just a few clicks away.

The next step would be to upload a more customized template (google - "free wordpress themes")

And viola - your blog BECOMES your website.

And if you want a static page as the front rather than your current posts - that's a quick fix in the setting screen on the admin panel of Wordpress.

Nicest part of all this is you get hands-on control of your site (the posting screen is much like using Word) - rather than having to hire someone to change the content.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

Andrea Goodsaid — Tue, 02/10/2009 - 7:51pm

There different schools of

There different schools of thought out there regarding blog and/or product web page.

I have seen combinations where you have a complete web page for a product or service.
Then you add a blog specifically about the product or service.

For example if you sell a multi-vitamin you have a sales page for the vitamins.
Then you have a supplementing Blog that supports the what where and how of the vitamins.
The biggest thing to include there are reviews of the vitamins by some actual customers.

Then you have a separate Blog about YOU Inc.
This is where you blog about anything and everything about you and your interests.
As people get to know you they'll wonder what you do and you would then refer them to your product page. (Do not sell your products here)

Perry Belcher has a great video I posted on my Marketing Blog:
He is a little rough on the edges, but gets the correct point across.

Robert

Robert Nelk — Tue, 02/10/2009 - 9:46pm

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input Andrea. I have a domain name from GoDaddy and hosting thru them as well. Still working out the ligistics but your info has been helpful.

Claudia Glaser — Wed, 02/18/2009 - 10:33am

Thanks Robert. I kinda like

Thanks Robert. I kinda like the idea of creating a blog about YOU inc, and then refer them to a product page. I get the whole concept of branding and thanks for the video. Love that guy and have seen it a few times.

Claudia Glaser — Wed, 02/18/2009 - 10:37am