5 Ways to beat the mid Winter BLAHS
This is a truly “funny” time for people. Begin of Feburary also known as mid winter and just because the days are slowly becoming longer most people, myself included, are counting down the days where winter is finally done. So how do you hang on for the better, warmer, longer summer days that are coming?
Well I’m glad you asked.
One way is to eat better stay away from the three white devils which I will get into a later blog post for this month, another way way is stay focused on your goals and keep rewarding yourself for goals met, and a third way (which is the focus of this blog) is to stay active.
Now I know it’s cold, dark, and (some days) miserable outside but its very important to keep active for many reasons but one important reason is that exercise releases an endorphin that makes you feel happy, content, and complete. These 5 exercises will help you stave off the mid winter blahs:
- Run, One of the best cardiovascular exercises there is. Now while its true it may be freezing where you are, even better you will heat up and since cold air is “thinner” you will be able to run longer without getting “winded”. Don’t think so? Think of high altitude training. You are able to go longer because of the air. Just check your pulse on frequent intervals to make sure you are not over exerting yourself. Recommended run: 20 to 30 minutes
- Deadlift. Another great exercise that works the back, and legs and can give you a great “pump” that will last throughout the day. How to this is very simple think of lift something off the ground, so basically grab something on the ground and use your legs to bring it up then squeeze your shoulder blades together at the “top end” of the exercise.
- Push Ups. One of a few exercises that “tests” the true strength of a man, OK ladies I know your probably rolling your eyes right now but guys will be guys at the end of the day and for guys it’s “who can do more” and since this exercise works the chest, shoulders, and triceps you can see why guys regard as one of the staples of true strength. Big chest, shoulders, and arms must be a strong guy.
- Swiss Ball Crunch. OK I’m giving you guys this one for free. Lucky you. This exercise target the abdominals (Rectus Abdominus) in its full range of motion. With regular crunches (from the ground) only targets 30 degrees of flexion (movement towards the feet) this targets the other 40 degrees backward from parallel. It’s difficult to explain I’d have to show you. Be fore warned if you suffer from vertigo or unexplained dizziness DO NOT preform this exercise it WILL get you sick.
- Skiing. A fantastic overall exercise that is done outside. Either cross country or down hill will do but a true challenge for your body is cross country with plenty of hills. I guarantee your whole body will be sore for a few days after since it works every single muscle in your body.
So with that I strongly encourage you to get out and move. These tips are her for your you to use. Again this is only a small example of some of the activities that you can do I highly recommend you take a look at our home website and enrol yourself in one of our exciting programs so you can stay active throughout the year.
Take a look at what we have to offer by clicking here
To your health