Top 5 Legal Issues of PPL MembersCompany: Legal Shield
Read More: legal issues | pre-paid legal | prepaid legal
During the first half of 2010, Real Estate issues topped the list of legal service requests by Pre-Paid Legal's members. Rounding out the top 5 were Finance, Family Law, Collections, and Estate Planning. These facts are based on the total volume of approximately 1.1 million member requests for legal services to the 40 independent Provider Law Firms that cover Pre-Paid Legal members in all of the United States, and four provinces of Canada.
The top 5 issues account for 47 percent, or approximately 533,000, of the total requests so far in 2010. The remaining 597,000 requests were comprised of a variety of legal issues, such as criminal violations, bankruptcy, bussiness issues, traffic-related matters, and employment issues.
Top 5 Legal Issues by Category:
1. Real Estate, Landlord/Tenant, Foreclosure, and Loan Modification - 15 percent of the total requests were for issues that include residential and commercial real estate transactions, landlord/tenant disputes and legal counsel related to foreclosure, short sales and loan modifications. With Pre-Paid Legal on your side, you can rest assured knowing you have unlimited consulations, and the help of your provider attorneys in whatever real estate issues come your way.
2. Consumer Finance - 9 percent of the total requests were for issues related to retail transactions for warranties, guarantees and other contracts. In many cases, if your provider attorney sees that it may help the situation, your membership provides them writing a letter or making a phone call on your behalf to help resolve the situation.
3. Family Law - Approximately 9 percent of the requests pertained to such issues as child support, divorce, child custody and visitation.
4. Collections - About 7 percent of the total requests was the collections category. This includes debt issues, member support against other parties and third-party collectors.
5. Estate Planning - Rounding out the Top 5 was Estate Planning, at 7 percent of the total. This includes the preparation of Wills, which is included at no additional cost in the membership, and also other counsel related to final estates. The average cost of a Will in the United States is between $500 and $1000, but with your Pre-Paid Legal membership, a Last Will & Testament, Medical Directive, and Living Will are included in the monthly membership, along with a free update each and every year. For more in-depth issues, such as Trusts, you can receive the attorneys' services at a 25% discount.
One of the provider attorneys stated, "Each of these legal issues begins and ends with money. Whether it's foreclosure, bankruptcy, consumer debt or family law, it's about money and often the amount is significant. Considering the high cost of traditional legal services, it's not surprising that people often delay in dealing with these matters. By waiting to obtain legal advice, the problems won't go away. They only grow larger."
These statistics were collected by Pre-Paid Legal through their rigorous monitoring system and surveys conducted to insure positive customer service experience with the provider law firms. One of PPL's distinguishing characteristics is their Provider Law Firm Network System, and the average tenure of law firms is more than 12 years!
These statistics were published in The Connection, a company magazine to Associates.