Forums

Dealing With A Content Thief

Learn how to recruit and sponsor with ONLY the words you write, by mastering the skill of copywriting. Top industry experts available here to show you how...

Moderator: admin

Dealing With A Content Thief

Postby James Rouse on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 am

The first reaction when you find that your content has been ripped off is anger. I know it is for me. The last time I discovered my content was ripped off I was pacing from room to room and talking to myself.

So, when dealing with a content thief you first need to calm down and gather all the information that you can.

Research The Thief

There are several ways of discovering who stole your content the one that has worked best for me is www.whoisdomaintools.com. All you need to do is copy (maybe highlight would be a better word) the website address and paste it into the search box. This will bring back the name, address,phone,e-mail,web host,and more information that may be of use.

Other methods would be the contact us form, about us page, alexa, and the meta tags that you can find by checking the page source.

Contact The Thief

Be cautious when you first contact the thief. Put your anger on the back burner and write a non threatening e-mail that describes the theft, request that they remove the content or at least give you credit as the author, and give them a time frame to comply. 7 days is good. Some people think that content online is free for the taking , which it is not. They may be oblivious to the copyright laws or simply playing dumb. Most times this solves the problem and they comply. Be professional at all times no matter what sort of response you may get from the thief.

Prepare For battle

Hopefully you won't get to this stage but just in case you do gather all the information that you can to prove the content is yours. I usually do a google search to find the original cache file and create a screenshot of this page. If you were fortunate enough to have comments made on your article showing the dates of the comments create a screenshot of that as well.

Send A Cease And Desist Order

There are many different cease and desist orders that can be found online. Find one that suits your needs best. A cease and desist order gets right to the point. Remove my content or else; plus there are monetary consequences with a cease and desist order. This usually gets the point across that you mean business. However, if it doesn't get you the results by all means send a copy to their host. Once they receive an e-mail from their host with the threat of shutting down their website your problem should be solved.

Back in May of this year (2009) I shared an article that I wrote titled An Internet Network Marketing Coach Altered My E-zine Article And I'm Not Happy About That on Digg. Since this was my first experience with a content thief I'll have to admit that I didn't follow the advice that I share in this post when making first contact. It did, however, in a non threatening way get the point across and solved my problem.
James is an internet marketing trainer and author of the popular www.helpcurechildobesity.com website. A website created out of his passion. Perhaps have a passion or hobby and would like to turn it into a profitable website like James has. Please visit: how I Did This
James Rouse
Contribution Level: 2

Re: Dealing With A Content Thief

Postby Tami Ross on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:53 am

Great info! This is something I've been hearing more about and I'm starting to see more and more where people put copywrite notices on their blogs. I may have mis-understood this... but I'm under the impression that when you post to blogspot some of the other free sites you do not actually "own" the content. Does anyone have any info on that?
Tami Ross
WFM Marketing Enthusiast
http://www.TamiRoss.com
615-423-1471

Does Your Lead Generation Need An Extreme Makeover? I’ve Been There. Here’s What Helped Me:
http://training.tamiross.com/
Tami Ross

Postby James Rouse on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Tami,
I'm not all that versed on Blogger but you do own your content. I did just find this on Blogger for your information.
Please note that Blogger is not in a position to arbitrate issues regarding ownership of content; however, Blogger does comply with the United States Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

I thought about writing in my post about the DMCA but decided against it. This is serious action and the offender could get angry enough to try the same on you. In essence this is requesting a ban from the search engines. The search engines will take action but they simply don't have time to help you individually.

You can get a creative commons license online to put on your blog like I have or copyscape.

If someone steals your content don't get discouraged. Look at the bright side. You write great content that another webmasters can only dream of creating.
James is an internet marketing trainer and author of the popular www.helpcurechildobesity.com website. A website created out of his passion. Perhaps have a passion or hobby and would like to turn it into a profitable website like James has. Please visit: how I Did This
James Rouse

Postby Tami DuBose on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:18 pm

James,
Excellent way to blow off your frustration - sharing a well thought out response. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Be Blessed & Be Great,
Tami DuBose

MLM Training Report
Install WordPress Today
Tami DuBose

Postby Eb Udofia on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 pm

There are places people can go to get free content for whatever they need..there is no need to steal it
Eb Udofia

Postby James Rouse on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:21 pm

James you make a valid point. Running your business is the number one priority. I certainly wouldn't spend the bulk of my time tracking down a content thief but I would let them know that its my content and would like the credit a such.

My intent of the article was to inform people of their rights and provide them with some simple means of tracking down the thief. If they choose to pursue it further so be it. Some people do take their copywrite rights seriously.

And it all depends on the severity of the theft. For instance: What would your reaction be if someone copied your entire blog word for word? I'd bet that would hit a nerve. And it does happen.
James Rouse

Postby Kurt Henninger on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:51 am

I'm with James here on this one.

You are much better off worrying about putting out more content than going after content thieves. I do understand your position and know it can be frustrating as I've had it done to me as well.

Of course, it depends on if its copyrighted material that you are selling and such. If it is of that nature, I would go ahead and go after them if you have it for the purposes of selling to people.

Now, you can always strategically put links on your content to ensure those links are taken with your content.

Just go out there and put more and more content out there...its far more productive IMO.
Kurt Henninger
Company: Shaklee Corporation
Contribution Level: 5

Postby Sandeep Nath on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you. This is an important post because ezinearticles will suspend your account till you take the steps mentioned. Feels lousy :?
“...principles that will help you grow, not only in business but in life... in this well written treatise.
No networker should be without this book.”

- Doug Wead, Bestselling Author, Adviser to 2 US Presidents, Networker and Historian
Sandeep Nath
Company: MyLeadSystemPRO
Contribution Level: 6

Postby Delton on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:06 pm

It would be great if we lived in a world where everyone loved their neighbor
instead of 70% wanting to screw their neighbor. As things go it will get worse
before it gets better.

I think if I was writing an educational piece I wouldn't let it bother me too
much if someone used it without permission but if I were selling it and someone
used it without permission it might be different.

As long as we have people in our society that will knock little old women in the
head for the few bucks they might have in their pockets we can expect someone
to steal content.

Mr Hayden, If you are so tough, why do we have so much crime on the streets?
You should be on the street getting rid of the turds there. They do more harm
than someone stealing content on the internet.

Delton
Earn up to $500 in an hour plus get a $300 Gasoline
Certificate, $300 Grocery Certificate and a Free Vacation
without spending a dime.
Free to Join and No Upgrades
Delton

Return to Copywriting Forum