Forums

Calling All "Alpha-Females"!!! (and males too)

Get your questions answered by other leaders in the mlm & home business industry on any topics, as well as share your ideas and be recognized as a home business leader.

Moderator: admin

Calling All "Alpha-Females"!!! (and males too)

Postby D S on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:00 am

Okay ladies (and gents),

I just have a quick question for you all, but before I start I will give you a little insight on who I am and where I'm coming from...

I'm a leader in the Army currently deployed to Iraq and relatively new to the network marketing world. I work in a unit of 286 men and when I say men, I MEAN MEN... I am the ONLY female in my unit. This has created many challenges for me to overcome (i.e. earning respect) over the last year that I've worked with these guys. I've been successful and am pretty much treated like a queen in my unit, but it wasn't always that way.

With that being said, I guess I want to take a poll and ask all you "alpha-females" out there what your take is on being a female in the network marketing/ MLM world. Have you had to face any challenges related to your sex? Have trouble getting people to trust your authority? Maybe you haven't had any trouble at all and this doesn't apply to this industry. I'm just curious.

Next question is, do any of you use the power of being a woman to your advantage? I know I have in the Army. No offense to all you men out there, but there is nothing more powerful than a woman. I have learned to become a master of manipulation (in a good way) in order to get what I need to accomplish a given task. My counterparts often send me out to network with other people because they know that I will always be successful. Perhaps it's not my sex that gets me what I want, but for now, I will believe that it plays a part in why I'm successful.

I don't want this to be offensive to anyone for any reason. I embrace my femininity, but at the same time, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. This isn't about getting people to do things for me, but rather persuading them with my personality and character to supply me with the things I need to succeed. So, please don't take this as me trying to see if us women can show a little leg to get everything handed to us... I'm just curious to know if being a woman in this industry plays any part in how we go about being successful.

I encourage you to share any thoughts that you may have on this subject. Please share any strategies or frustrations you may have or have encountered. MEN, I also encourage you to give some insight on how you view this topic.

Lastly, don't forget to add me as a friend on BN! Us "Alphas" need to stick together!
I'm going to post an article soon on how I established myself as an Alpha-female in an Alpha-male world very soon. Stay tuned if you are interested in finding out how I did it!!

Take care,
Amanda

Amanda Isabell

D S
Contribution Level: 1

Re: Calling All "Alpha-Females"!!! (and males too)

Postby Joyce Penner on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:38 am

Welcome to BN Amanda.
You have an interesting question or series of questions there and you made me stop and think.
Network marketing is such an amazing opportunity for both males and females to make money and what I am seeing (my paradigm) is men have a tendency to grasp the concept network marketing is a business quicker and faster than women.
If you check around on BN you will find women (although there are men too) who talk about loving you, wanting to provide hugs, supporting you, I will help you, I will be your friend, etc.; all emotional mothering words but not necessarily business building tools.
You will find more men will offer or can provide the kick in the butt, don't whine get out and do it, here's the tools that work, what are your goals, how badly do you want them - not seeing that in your activities type of support. Men seem to have an easier time "respecting with expectations".
I'm going to have women jumping all over me but it is very difficult for a lot of women to separate the mother from the business woman who needs to leave emotions out of the business world and think with her head.
I love working with Alpha people - together we get the job done and sometimes, more often than not women don't seem to have the ??(self-confidence? strength? desire?) to handle challenges the Alpha person has to deal with.
Again, my paradigm only and I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me.
To your success,
Joyce Penner
Joyce Penner | Core Partner
Wellness, Prosperity, Lifestyle by Design
Stop Struggling By Yourself ~ Experience the POWER Of a Team!
Team Inc Pro
Joyce Penner
Company: Life Force International
Contribution Level: 9

Postby Chris Hughes on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 am

Hey Amanda,

I'm glad to meet you! You are an awesome person for being in the army and I have mucho respect for you because of that, especially being the only female in your unit!

You truly are an Alpha. Keep it up.

It may be easier for you to catch the attention of men, but will you have the leadership ability to KEEP their attention? If you are constantly putting out great information, you will develop a following whether you are a man or woman.

I say to keep embracing being a woman. I have more respect for women who hold themselves to higher standards and truly are going places. Keep using your personality to win friends and influence people as well as to help aid you in the building of your business. Keep identifying the strengths of your team members and encouraging them to capitalize on these strengths.

Nice to connect,
Chris Hughes
Leaders are made, not born
http://www.MLMLeadershipCourse.com/

Juggling Increases Creativity in Your Business!
http://JugglingSecrets.com/get-the-course
Chris Hughes
Contribution Level: 2

Postby D S on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Joyce and Chris,

Thank you for replying to this somewhat controversial subject! Joyce, I 100% agree with you! You said that woman are much more emotionally involved in the business world and I agree, yes many are. I have experienced this first hand on my journey to "Alpha-ness". I have actually been coined the "momma-bear" of my company. At first, I didn't want to be that person, but in the end I took my natural "motherly tendencies" and balanced them with more traditional masculine ways. I like to think that I bring a unique female perspective to the decision-making table. I've got a good balance between too soft and too hard. I choose my battles wisely and definitely try to make a conscious effort to not make any decisions based on emotion. I still always take the time to listen to my men, ask them how they are doing, what's going on at home, and just get a feel for how they're doing on a personal level. With that, if they present an issue to me, I don't tell them how badly I feel for them, nor do I tell them to suck it up and drive on.... I present them with a solution or an avenue of approach to solve their problem. In the end, I show genuine concern for my men, and I also provide them with tools to solve their dilemma. I often try and make them feel as though they solved the problem themselves... Something I've found that men take pride in!!

Chris, you made a very valid point in stating that as long as you bring some substance and something of value to the table it doesn't matter who you are, you will have success. Great point and I'm glad that's the case!!!

Thanks again!

Amanda Isabell

D S
Contribution Level: 1

Postby Melanie Milletics on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Amanda,

The statistics are that 80% of Network Marketers are women. There are far more of 'us' than 'them'.
Women are traditionally better at forming relationships, and since MLM is really relationship marketing - it only makes sense.
I dont know the true stats, but I bet there are more women 7 figure earners in MLM, they are just 'quiet'. You hear and see the men far more!

Now, if you are talking about Internet marketing, its another story.
Its totally dominated by men - no question.
I don't try to compete. I simply let the qualities that attract people to subscribe, stay subscribed and act on my recommendations work to my advantage.
What are those qualities?
I'd rather let my subscribers tell you :)

But the fact is, there is no reason why many more women couldn't make a ton of money in theMLM affiliate niche . The money is there- alpha female or not!

A funny 'aside' :
I attended our MLM annual conference with a well known affiliate marketing expert. He is a man of few words. One of the things he did say
"WOW, the crowd is far more attractive than at an Internet marketing event!"

It was really funny ~ since he was referring to the many beautiful, fit, women Network Marketers in attendance!
As Featured in Success From Home Magazine Timing is Everything ~ Take the Body By Vi Challenge! Contact Me HERE

I've been working with Magnetic since the very beginning...I might know something you don't...
www.MLM-List-Building.com
Melanie Milletics
Company: ViSalus Sciences
Contribution Level: 4

Return to Main MLM Discussion