Forums

How do you respond when someone asks you "How much...

Get your questions answered by other leaders in the mlm & home business industry on any topics, as well as share your ideas and be recognized as a home business leader.

Moderator: admin

Re: How do you respond when someone asks you "How much...

Postby Cynthia Acoff on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Jody, this is one question that continues to come up in the forum. Great question. I just wrote a topic on a similar subject and here's what I say...

Obviously if your're doing great, you'd want to shout it to the world!
If you're new, it's alright to be honest and say, "I'm new to the business"; then edify someone in your upline. Tell people how successful someone you know is doing with the business. If you've been in business for a while and you are not as successful as you want to be; be honest about that as well. Tell people that you have not been putting in the time you wished you had. Tell them you're in the process of setting new goals. In this case, it is great to use a sizzle line, or your upline to help close the prospect. Over a period of time, if you have not reached any success with your business, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate the business and if it is right for you, or re-evaluate yourself, perhaps NWM is not right for you.

For the most part, people appreciate honesty and will respect you more for it.
Cynthia Acoff
Contribution Level: 4

Postby Charlene Sheldon on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 pm

I think it would also be reasonable to sidestep the question of "How much you have made." with a statement of your goal, I WILL be making $$ so much per month by such and such a date. and if you're prospecting them, turn it back on them, how much will YOU be making by such and such a date?

In that way, you're affirming your goal to both yourself and them. You've committed to your goal in front of them. THEN take the action to make your goal a reality . .
Bonus MLM Report - What You Need To Know To
Prosper In Any Network Marketing Program

E-mailed when you optin for no obligation info here: http://offer.wealth-secret.com
Charlene Sheldon
http://www.wealth-secret.com
Charlene Sheldon
Company: Numis Network
Contribution Level: 1

Postby Dave Kotecki on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Just say "unbelievable".

Did you ever notice that you can mean whatever you want,
no matter what you say? Especially if you effectively use body
language and voice inflection.

Unbelievable could mean:
I can't believe I haven't made any money yet
I can't believe I've made so much money
I can't believe I got that stupid question again
I can' believe you asked me that
I can't believe how stupid you are
I can't believe I'm still standing here talking to you

I'm sure you get the point by now.

The thing is, you're right. It's a question nobody would dream of asking
their neighbor, but because you're in business they think it's OK?
Unbelievable.

Imagine all the people who didn't get on with Mike Dillard and others
because they hadn't made any money when they were asked the question.

Kinda like the guy who sold his 10% stake in Apple Computer for $10k
a year after they formed the company.
Unbelievable.
Dave Kotecki | Core Partner
Wellness, Prosperity, Lifestyle by Design
Experience the POWER Of Our Team!
DaveKoteckiPro
Facebook.com/davekoteckipro
Dave Kotecki
Company: Life Force International
Contribution Level: 5

Postby Ilka Flood on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Jody,

Personally I think it's quite rude to even ask that question. But some people do ask. I have learned over the years to give several answers. One of them is "unbelievable" just like Dave said already.

Another one is ... What does it matter? Because you can't base your success on mine. You may surpass me and make more money than I am making right now and if I were to give you a number you might think "oh, is that all I can make?" and quit before you start never achieving the success you could have.

Or you might think "I will never be able to achieve that kind of success" and again quit before you start. One thing I can tell you is this, ... Your success in this company is in direct proportion to the work you put in.

And I just leave it at that.
Ilka Flood
The Enlightened Networker
www.EnlightenedNetworker.com
Ilka Flood
Company: Isagenix Corporation

Postby Jeff Celentano on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I echo the sentiments of everyone here but I'll also add what I learned in Black Belt Recruiting. Mike Dillard and Mark Wieser suggest to address this question by putting it back onto the prospect by saying "it's not about what I make but rather what YOU'RE going to make with this. You could very well make a lot more than I do or you could make nothing depending on what you put into the business". I'm obviously paraphrasing here but you get the idea. I think all of the above answers have merit as well as this one basically because it's true. It IS all about what they're going do. We can help but at the end of the day, it's not our job to drag people across the finish line. It's ultimately up to them.

There's my 2 cents.

Jeff Celentano
702-355-0492
http://www.marketlikearockstar.com
jeff@jeffsounds.net
Jeff Celentano
Contribution Level: 2

Postby Brother Kaleem on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:09 pm

It's a reasonable question.

Try telling the truth!

About a year ago, the government made it illegal to divulge your income unless you provide proof and a disclaimer.

Also, read your contract with your company. It would probably be a breach if you talk about your income.

MY RESPONSE:

"I'd be breaking the law if I told you that. The government requires a disclaimer and proof of income, like a bank statement or a tax return, if you tell anybody how much money you make. I don't know anyone who would be willing to do that; I'm certainly not."

"And I also have a contract with my company where I agreed not to talk about my income."

"So what I can do is show you the pay plan, and you can crunch your own numbers. Will that be good enough?"

If the answer is anything other than "yes"... END OF CONVERSATION. It's just that simple.

Try it. I think you'll find that it works.
If what you have is so great, why are you asking people to sign up for it? Shouldn't THEY be asking YOU? Sign up for this Free MLM Boot Camp. Click HERE.
Brother Kaleem
Company: Magnetic Sponsoring
Contribution Level: 3

Postby willie robertson on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Jody,

A few years back I got this question from a co-worker. This cat was a complete "LOSER" and I actually let him intimidate me.

I have heard successful NWM'ters use these lines when asked how much are you making?

They reply with "YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT IF I TOLD YOU!"

"I AM NEW AND JUST GETTING STARTED, AND I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS COMPANY AND OPPORTUNITY" and what it will allow me to be able to accomplish in my life, then they immediately take back charge of the conversation and ask the prospect, how much money would you like to make prospect name ____________.

If the prospect insist on asking you this question, just tell, Prospect, I can see that you are not serious about making a changing in your life and you don't qualify for me to spend my valuable time working with you. If and when you are ready to make a change in your life and you're ready to get serious, give me a call. Then hang up, walk off and move on to trhe next prospect.

Their are to many real prospects looking for a great opportunity.
Why do some people struggle for years, while others get results and the life they signed up for… in months? Success Starts Here
willie robertson

Postby Ilka Flood on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm

brotherkaleem wrote:It's a reasonable question.

Try telling the truth!

About a year ago, the government made it illegal to divulge your income unless you provide proof and a disclaimer.

Also, read your contract with your company. It would probably be a breach if you talk about your income.

MY RESPONSE:

"I'd be breaking the law if I told you that. The government requires a disclaimer and proof of income, like a bank statement or a tax return, if you tell anybody how much money you make. I don't know anyone who would be willing to do that; I'm certainly not."

"And I also have a contract with my company where I agreed not to talk about my income."

"So what I can do is show you the pay plan, and you can crunch your own numbers. Will that be good enough?"

If the answer is anything other than "yes"... END OF CONVERSATION. It's just that simple.

Try it. I think you'll find that it works.

Great answer! I had all but forgotten about this one. Thanks for the reminder, Kaleem!
Ilka Flood
The Enlightened Networker
www.EnlightenedNetworker.com
Ilka Flood
Company: Isagenix Corporation

Postby Adam Taha on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

I don't bother answering it or I say the questions they should have asked.

None of their business.

Same as it is in my traditional business and so it is, in Network Marketing, Internet Marketing.

Any who asks this with me, does not qualify to be coached or be sponsored.

And by law, it's illegal but that's not my reason. My reason as I stated. None of their business.

That's my terms, my values, and how I run my ship.

So depends on your own values and level you're at.

Finally, it's me who will be asking questions because the prospect is coming to you for help.

In other words, this question is asked due to a need to sort out the qualifying process, and to look at prospects your level or above.

I don't mean income etc. I mean desire, I mean mindset, character, values, etiquette.

Adam Taha
This is just one of the websites out of many I've designed and then built built by web developer called Wayne Hatter. Want to see others let me know..
http://yourwpmadesimple.com/
Adam Taha
Contribution Level: 8

Postby Michael Novak on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Good evening Jody,

I took note of your question and I addressed it on my online TV show live this evening. I think many people will disagree with my answer but I think you should go ahead and take a look. The recording of the show is here at BetterNetworker.

I hope it helps answer your question.

If you need any more help, shoot me a question at questions@michaelnovak.me and then make sure to catch my TV show live tomorrow 4PM PST or 7PM EST at The Missing Link.
Need Your Tough Questions Answered?
Tune in every weekday 4PM PST or 7PM EST LIVE! to get the answers you need for your business.
The Missing Link Live!
Michael Novak
Company: Wealth Masters International
Contribution Level: 3

Next

Return to Main MLM Discussion