Forums

Scam?

Get your questions answered by other leaders in the mlm & home business industry on any topics, as well as share your ideas and be recognized as a home business leader.

Moderator: admin

Scam?

Postby Dr. Bob Clarke on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:26 pm

What do you think of using the word SCAM in your marketing?

As in... Is _______ a scam?; Scam Alert! ______, etc.

Do you think it's a clever marketing strategy to get traffic and (maybe) leads...

Or do you think it's a bad strategy that attracts the wrong kinds of people.

I know what I think, but I'm curious to hear the thoughts of others.
Dr. Bob Clarke

SNEAKY Ninja Tactic for Shortcutting Your Way to Success http://bobandrosemary.com/sneaky-strategy/.
Dr. Bob Clarke
Company: MyLeadSystemPRO
Contribution Level: 4

Re: Scam?

Postby Bradley Scott on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Well I've certainly never felt comfortable in using the word in any of my marketing. I mean when you read the word "SCAM" how does it make you feel? Just puts a knot in your stomach doesn't it.

Of course it IS a way of attracting attention but I think taking advantage of people's fears and manipulating them to read your article or watch your YouTube video in doing so is a very shallow way to go.

I wonder how many people have just started to dip their toe in our industry and then they load up YouTube and see "xxxxx SCAM" "Is xxxxx a SCAM" - "SCAM This" SCAM That" have run a mile and never come back!?

Using the word in any marketing message just damages the industry in my opinion and people should stop it.

I mean, sure if something REALLY IS a scam then please go ahead and warn people about it - but there really aren't that many "real scams" out there to warrant such a complete OVER USE of the word.
FREE Home Business Training From the Industry's TOP LEADERS - HomeBusinessHangout
Bradley Scott
Contribution Level: 2

Postby Melvin Goodrum on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I like using scam in the names of domains to promote a product. Its quite effective in marketing as its a common word placed into Google search
Getting Rowdy Since 1993 In Network Marketing

Visit my website...or DON'T at http://www.melvingoodrum.com
Melvin Goodrum
Company: AdvoCare International, L.P.

Postby Jason Jones on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 pm

It seems to be more of an SEO tactic than anything. The ones that I've seen are reviews that target the keywords "(whatever business) + scam" in the hope they will get some sign ups for people researching the business.

People may have gotten some sign up from this, but I wouldn't put much time into writing "Is (whatever) a scam" reviews. It targets people looking for a reason to find something wrong with an opportunity.

People who look for something wrong with anything usually find it (whether it is really there or not.)

Just my thoughts.
May You Have Health, Wealth, and Happiness!
Jason
Jason's Blog: http://prosperitywithjason.com
Jason Jones
Company: Empower Network, LLC

Postby Melvin Goodrum on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Yea, its not an effective business builder but its good for increasing your alexa ranking. In addition, you can add some Google Adsense ads to get extra cash. A good "scam site" generate up to 20 bucks a day just in Adsense....that's 600 dollars a month.
Getting Rowdy Since 1993 In Network Marketing

Visit my website...or DON'T at http://www.melvingoodrum.com
Melvin Goodrum
Company: AdvoCare International, L.P.

Postby Mario Sanders on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 am

I really don't think any marketeteer would scam anybody if they want to stay in business. Scam is a perception of the viewer. If they think the article is a scam then they should avoid it at all cost.
Don't try to con people or use scam to get good customers. You may get some but you won't get most and it will tarnish your good brand name.
Mario Sanders
Company: Life Force International
Contribution Level: 7

Postby Michelle Grigsby on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

If you think about it...do you want to attract people that are typing "scam" into google search? It shows that they are apprehensive right from the get go. I'm going to have to further review the psychology behind this word.....is it a buying word? Just my two cents.
Michelle Grigsby
"The Empowered Entrepreneuress"
Want to get empowered with me?
Michelle Grigsby
Company: Empower Network, LLC

Postby Adam Taha on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:48 am

My personal thought is, I will never use it. Even if it works. I won't use for different reasons..

1. My integrity. Purpose. Values.
2. It will only attract people I don't really want to be involved in what I do.
3. Image of a business and my profession.
4. Immediate gains like ranking, getting leads does not generate success and sales long term.
5. It also reveals one's own desperate mindset. Yes it works but so what? Just because people do it, and it works, does this mean to use it?

I don't do this because they work. They MUST go with my values and if it goes against my values even 1%, forget it.

Scam headlines are like "peeke boo". That's all they do but then you got to do it OVER...OVER...and OVER again. It gets people to come to website.

So what? Does it build a big business? No. Does it bring sustainable growth in repeat sales from clients? No. Does it help with one's own business professional image? No.

What does it do? It serves the EGO.

Stuff that.

I rather do something right ONCE and build long term.

I won't teach my own kids do to it, so why would I do it? I won't mentor businesses to do it so why would I? VALUES.

What we do today online, will create a ripple effect in one's own business, leaves a trial, footprints online and believe me, if you ever want to attract professionals, people who really will build a business, or buy quality products....forget using "scam" in headline.

So no, I don't use it. There are more effective and professional way of attracting leads. Using "SCAM" in headlines isn't one of them. Especially if you want to attract high quality leads than get rich, easy, fast, want it now mentality type of leads.

Adam Taha
This is just one of the websites out of many I've designed and then built built by web developer called Wayne Hatter. Want to see others let me know..
http://yourwpmadesimple.com/
Adam Taha
Contribution Level: 8

Postby Tommy Olsson on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 am

Hi,
I wouldn't use such a strategy,I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.
Partner with a 7 figure earner http://tinyurl.com/zhb35xy
Tommy Olsson

Postby Cathie Heath on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:48 am

Well said, Adam! Your #1 reason says it all.
For tips, resources and other cool stuff go to http://www.cathieheath.com
Cathie Heath
Company: Arbonne International

Next

Return to Main MLM Discussion