Forums

Need Help with Online Forms

Have technical questions about setting up a website, hosting or other issues, so you can promote your mlm opportunity? We've got answers for you here.

Moderator: admin

Need Help with Online Forms

Postby Lane Romero-Reiss on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'll start by telling you what I would like to do, and I am hoping someone in the community can then make a recommendation as to the best solution.

I am putting together a members database for a group I am forming. Each member should be able to input their name, contact information and other relevant information, which will all be stored in the database. So, the first thing I would like is a form to be able to collect the information.

I would like members to have the ability to run queries on the database. For example, they could search for all members living in Australia, or all members working in the travel industry (or both), etc.

I would like this database embedded into my website, into a private members area. Members could log in to the area, where they would be able to fill out a form with all of their information. They would also be able to reference the resulting database online in this members area anytime they wish.

The reason I would like this database to be online is that I won't have to worry about some members having an out-of-date spreadsheet. If all changes are made in the online form, and everyone is referencing that, then it will always be current.

I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction. So far, Google Docs seems like a possibility, but I'm having trouble with the query function.

Lane Reiss
Everything You Need in One Place. Build ONE Team, ONE Time, with all the tools, training and resources you need to create multiple income streams, all in one integrated platform. Contact me to learn more.
Lane Romero-Reiss
Contribution Level: 2

Re: Need Help with Online Forms

Postby Eric Walker on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Lane, I like where you're going with this...good questions.
Eric Walker
Company: SendOutCards
Contribution Level: 4

Postby Lane Romero-Reiss on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 pm

I hope someone out here in this community has some experience with databases, or can at least point me to someone who does.

Lane Reiss
Everything You Need in One Place. Build ONE Team, ONE Time, with all the tools, training and resources you need to create multiple income streams, all in one integrated platform. Contact me to learn more.
Lane Romero-Reiss

Postby Robert Nelk on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:47 am

I am currently using SquareSpace for a new Project.
I am only using it's front end Blog, but it has an extensive back end forum capability.
It also has the capability to create a membership list. I am not sure if that fits the bill without actually using a DB programmer.
PM me if you need more info.

Robert
Working my way from newbie to guru using:
http://rtjet05.magneticsponsoringonline.com
Or visit my blog: http://www.learntomarket.net/
Robert Nelk

Postby Lane Romero-Reiss on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks Robert,

I will look into that. Our project is currently being hosted by Squarespace, but we will likely move it over to Wordpress at some point, so I am hesitant to tie the member list to the Squarespace service. I'll see what they offer, though, just as a point of research. Thanks again.

Lane Reiss
Lane Romero-Reiss

Postby Lane Romero-Reiss on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:18 pm

Ok everyone,

There MUST be someone out there that knows about database management. I'm hoping the right person will see this and help me out. I've tried Google Docs, but that really isn't doing what I need it to do. I was going to use Access and Excel, but some members of the group are using Mac's, and it seems an online solution is going to be necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Lane Romero-Reiss
Lane Romero-Reiss

Postby Ben Fitts on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Lane,

Let me just suggest first of all that you consider investing in your business and hiring someone to do this work for you.

:) (Not me, I'm not for hire, I hire my own stuff out these days so I can focus on the aspects of my business I can't hire out.)

Now let me be more productive.

First of all you just need one database. That database would be kept on your web site. Then you need some software to interact with the database, allow people to register, allow people to perform searches, etc.

If you're basically trying to create some sort of social networking type thing, there are software programs out there to do that. However they probably need customization...

Another solution is to take a membership management software program and have someone customize it to create the interface you are looking for.

Yet another solution would be a CMS. Something like Drupal or Joomla. They integrate with databases already and can allow members to register. Plus they include some basic web site building software and stuff too. This might be your best bet. You probably will still want to investigate hiring someone to help you set it up or at least buy some books to help you along the way.

If you want to elaborate some more I can try and point you in the right direction.
Benjamin Fitts
Contact me at: 877-BEN-FITTS or Skype: BenjaminFitts
Send Out Cards - One of the top 19 Distributors in the company WORLD WIDE
Ben Fitts
Company: SendOutCards
Contribution Level: 3

Postby Josh Thomas on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi Lane,
Have you looked into Ning.com?

In addition to practically ANYONE being able to
create their own social network, they also have some
"white label" options which allow you to personalize
and match the themes of your website.

I am a member of several Ning Networks and
think they will probably do most everything you are looking
for.

Check this one out and see if it Ning might work for you.

LSP Ning Network
Josh Thomas
Contribution Level: 3

Postby Cynthia Acoff on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 pm

I was just going to suggest ning.com, but Josh beat me to it. Good luck with that!
Cynthia Acoff

Postby Deborah Tutnauer on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Lane,

You could also may be able to do all that you are looking for, using a dedicated Aweber account accessible by all the members of the group. In Aweber you can create any type of form and the database for that list can be searched by any of the parameters in the form. The forms that you create can be placed into any webpage. I do not know if you could search the database from the webpage or if you would need to have members link into the dedicated Aweber account. They have great customer and tech support. I'm sure you could call and ask them. Here's a link if you're not already familiar with Aweber.
Integrity in Thought Creates Prosperity in Action

ITS ALL SUCCESS TV

I used to stay GENERIC!. Now I shout from the HIGHEST HILLS!
Body By Vi is the BEST MLM company 2day. Customer oriented comp plan with cutting edge
21st Century marketing.
Deborah Tutnauer

Return to Tech Advice