Forums

How to let visitors subscribe via email?

Have technical questions about setting up a website, hosting or other issues, so you can promote your mlm opportunity? We've got answers for you here.

Moderator: admin

How to let visitors subscribe via email?

Postby Marius Lombaard on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi forum, it's been a while...

Tell me, what WP plugins do you use to have folks subscribe to your blogposts via email?

I know, I know... Why do email when there's RSS and easier ways....

The reason is simple: I really only discovered RSS this year, and it struck me that there might be others like me who still thinks that email is a better way of receiving blog updates. Yeah I know... We're straight outta Noah's ark, but we exist :oops:

So which plugins do you use - and here's a tech issue: which plugins do you use, that does NOT cause HTML validation errors (when using the tool at http://validator.w3.org/)

I searched via the plugins section in the WP dashboard but most of the plugin results are not what i'm looking for (a simple widget) or it's a bit too flashy or quirky in other ways, or it integrates into autoresponders which i don't want to use... or it uses Ajax which makes it hard for me to make minor formatting changes (i'm not familiar with Ajax), or it causes HTML errors etc etc...

i want a simple widget that can take an email address, and automatically email that list with a short extract whenever i post to my blog.

any thoughts or ideas will be much appreciated :)
My vexed musings on faith, life, and busines: www.MariusLombaard.net
Marius Lombaard
Company: Amway
Contribution Level: 3

Re: How to let visitors subscribe via email?

Postby Jeff Atherton on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 am

I use Jetpack. It puts two little check boxes below the comment section. One for them to subscribe to that comment thread and one for them to subscribe to the whole blog. I don't think it can put an blog singup in a widget or on the main page. But that's all I use. I like the simple check box option for when people leave comments.
More Leads! More Cash Flow! The Secrets of the Marketing Funnel Revealed in this
FREE MLM eBook
Jeff Atherton
Contribution Level: 2

Postby Barry Husband on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 am

All you need to do is put a web form from your autoresponder service in a widget in your sidebar to allow people to sign up to your mailing list. Then in your autoresponder you can setup a Blog Broadcast of your RSS feed. Then every time you post to your blog your subscribers will receive an email with a link to the blog post.

I don't know if you can do this with all autoresponders, but I know you can do it with Aweber.

Cheers
Barry
Barry Husband
Company: Infinity Downline
Contribution Level: 1

Postby Marius Lombaard on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:26 am

barryhusband wrote:All you need to do is put a web form from your autoresponder service in a widget in your sidebar to allow people to sign up to your mailing list. Then in your autoresponder you can setup a Blog Broadcast of your RSS feed. Then every time you post to your blog your subscribers will receive an email with a link to the blog post.

I don't know if you can do this with all autoresponders, but I know you can do it with Aweber.

hi barry,

i am not talking about building a mailing list in the sense you speak of, that's why i'm not going with the autoresponder solution.

i'm just talking about a normal wordpress plugin that allows people to be notified via email (if they're not using RSS) of your blogposts as you post them.

the only plugin i was able to get that does this to my satisfaction is "Subscribe2". there really doesn't seem to be any alternatives that are any good.
My vexed musings on faith, life, and busines: www.MariusLombaard.net
Marius Lombaard
Company: Amway
Contribution Level: 3

Postby Barry Husband on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Marius

Another plugin that will do this is called MailPress. It allows you to put a widget on your page to get people to sign up for updates and it can be set to send them an email with each blog post. I haven't used it for a while, but I remember it was pretty easy. You also have the ability to setup a template for your emails so they can look like your blog. Make sure you check out the add-ons that are available for it. There is one called Newsletter which looks exactly like what you are looking for.

Cheers
Barry
Barry Husband
Company: Infinity Downline
Contribution Level: 1

Return to Tech Advice