Forums

Einstein was WRONG!

Get your questions answered by other leaders in the mlm & home business industry on any topics, as well as share your ideas and be recognized as a home business leader.

Moderator: admin

Einstein was WRONG!

Postby Eric W on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:07 pm

The other day I heard someone say Einstein's oft quoted definition of insanity (Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results). And it got me thinking...

This quote, while famous, is really not that applicable to many things in life. If he was right then why is the assembly line one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century?

Thanks to that Henry Ford, we now live in a society that is a product of duplication in many aspects. Look at MLMs - the entire model is based on duplication and doing the same thing over and over again. I know many people that are extremely successful and, if you apply this quote above, they are well beyond insane. They found one thing that worked well and did it over and over and over again.

I think the quote needs to be revised and updated. I would love to hear how you all would do that...
FREE Internet Marketing Webinar: SEO, Social Media, Video Marketing, Web Design, Email List Building & more Click Here Now (no opt-in required, just hit play)

I am an experienced internet marketer. If you need anything done online, just ask :)
Eric W
Company: Lightyear Wireless
Contribution Level: 2

Re: Einstein was WRONG!

Postby Sandi Lovrecic on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The meaning of this qoute is that if a person would like to change things in his life and continue to do the same routine(things, habits) every day..he is insane to expect different results.

"To change your life, you must change your mind." Marshall Sylver
Sandi Lovrecic
Company: Global Information Network

Postby Mario Sanders on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38 pm

I always wondered why people gamble so much. They know the odds are against them when they play. They play even more when the stakes are very high. And they know the odds are more against them. :arrow:
If you keep doing the same thing and hoping to get different results is gambling. :?
Why do criminals get caught? They keep doing the same thing (modus operandi) as a pattern. Were they looking for a different result? :roll:
It seems that if you keep doing something negative, it will never result in a positive! :!:
Now, if you do something positive, and keep doing something positive, it will result in a positive! :idea:
Mario Sanders
Company: Life Force International
Contribution Level: 7

Postby Eric W on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:41 am

It definitely is focusing on the positive. Find one or a few things that work and scale it up
FREE Internet Marketing Webinar: SEO, Social Media, Video Marketing, Web Design, Email List Building & more Click Here Now (no opt-in required, just hit play)

I am an experienced internet marketer. If you need anything done online, just ask :)
Eric W
Company: Lightyear Wireless

Postby Mujibur Rahman on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Einstein's theory of relativity applied to Internet Marketing...

E=MC(squared)

E ---> Earnings

M ---> Marketing

C ---> Constancy
Get Your Wealth Builder - create wealth using the internet on a global scale!
Mujibur Rahman

Postby Mehak Naheem on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 pm

hi Eric,
I think it depends in what perspective you would see it. The assembly line example you gave would still apply because the product would have to have been designed many times before the final finished product.

Thanks for sharing though, it also got me thinking :)
Find Out The Latest Marketing Techniques FREE! Updated Regularly Teaching YOU How To Better Your Online Business!
Mehak Naheem
Company: YourNetBiz
Contribution Level: 3

Postby Richard Bravo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Eric the attribution to Einstein is actually incorrect.
There is no hard evidence available linking him to the quote.

There is however a very similar line in the Alchoholics Anonymous literature I believe which says this:
"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

If Einstein were to say anything like this, I am more apt to believe it was the later.

There is also this documented citation from Einstein which would appear to substantiate the same:
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

~Richard
Richard Bravo: the Art of an Entrepreneur • Let's Connect On Facebook!
Richard Bravo
Contribution Level: 9

Postby Michael B Wilbraham on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 am

Eric the saying is certainly very valid!

What it is in fact saying is that you cannot EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS by doing the same thing over & over.

What you can expect are the same results...

That's why a production line works - because it DOES produce the same article, over & over again!

If MLM or network marketing was in the business of duplication, which is what it purports to be, then EVERYONE would be successful.

But - most are not. Why is this?

Probably because the people who start a network marketing business do not duplicate the successful people in the industry. They think they can do it quicker, slicker, by reinventing the wheel & re-writing the rules of the game!

Now...that's where the duplication comes in - if the statistic is right (& I don't believe it is) then 97% of the people are duplicating the same "I can do it quicker, slicker etc" methodology.

Guess what, they're all getting the same results...yet expecting a different one!
Michael B Wilbraham
Contribution Level: 4

Postby Jason McGregor on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm

It's obvious to me that you missed the message in Einstein's quote. His quote didn't mean "Don't do the same thing repeatedly." Period! It was a two part statement. It means "If you want somethin, but, aren't getting, achieving, or finding it then change what you're doing." What you mentioned is people finding something that works and repeating it. That's cause and efect (or result). Roy Hayes gave a different perspective. He said "If you keep dooing the same thing you've always done, you'll keep getting the same thing you've always gotten."

Jason McGregor
Contribution Level: 1

Return to Main MLM Discussion