Forums

Buying "Opportunity Seeker" Leads From Lead Brokers?

Get your questions answered by other leaders in the mlm & home business industry on any topics, as well as share your ideas and be recognized as a home business leader.

Moderator: admin

Buying "Opportunity Seeker" Leads From Lead Brokers?

Postby J. Hamilton on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am

Have any of you had much success with purchasing "opportunity seeker" leads?

I've bought thousands of leads ranging in price from .10 cents to as much as $15.00 per lead. But, I never really had much success with buying leads. I know there are probably some good lead companies out there. But... in my experience, there are lots of bad ones out there that you have to sort through to find a quality lead provider. I have found that many lead sellers on the web are actually brokers who are getting their leads from the same wholesale source. There are only a few lead wholesalers and tens of thousands of lead brokers.

I just posted an article on "The top 10 things that most lead brokers don't want to tell you". It's somewhat humorous, but I'm afraid there's a lot of truth in there. Please let me know your opinions, experiences and what you think... http://propodium.com/Business-Opportuni ... -Companies
J. Hamilton
Contribution Level: 1

You're Still BUYING Leads? Some Insight...

Postby Don Hill on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Unless you like having to deal with a lot of "hang-ups" and complaints about the "do not call" registry, I recommend avoid purchasing leads - from anybody at all! (Even from your Network Marketing company, if they offer them).

Most of those leads are generated because they may overlooked or forgot to clear a checkbox ("Are you interested in learning about ways to make money online?") when they provided the information that ended becoming the "lead" you purchase. Most likely, they only wanted the freebie or other offer that caused them to sign up in the first place. Even if they checked that box, they probably aren't really interested - just mildly curious.

Besides, as you've probably already discovered, you're not the only marketer those "leads" have been sold to So chances are, by the time you're able to call them they've already been contacted by any number of other marketers who purchased those same leads, and by the time you call them they're already fed up with being pestered by people who are trying to get them to join yet another "money-making scheme" - even when you know that your business isn't!

I strongly urge you to start generating your own leads, which will be targeted only for you and your business, so that when you do contact them (which is usually done with an email autoresponder), they're actually expecting your call or email. After all, they just requested the specific information that you offered them on your subscription page - and not just some generic "how to make lots of money online" like the forms most lead-generating companies use.

As a result, instead of having to "cold call" people who aren't expecting your call (or even worse, who are expecting your call and simply don't want to talk to you), you're actually calling a "warm" lead who's actually willing to at least begin to hear what you have to say to them.

A lead-generation "funnel" isn't difficult to put together. In its basic form it consists of a "squeeze page" that's used to get people to provide you with their contact information, and an email autoresponder which immediately starts "following up" with your new "lead" by providing them with the information they asked for mere moments after they've asked you for it). Additionally, your autoresponder gives you the ability to automatically send additional emails - spaced over the course of days or weeks - which will continue to provide them with information for as long as they don't "unsubscribe" from your email list.

But even more importantly, an email autoresponder gives you the ability to start building a relationship with your new "lead" that will hopefully result in either a sale or a new distributor/affiliate somewhere in the future. This way, you don't have to try to get them to "eat the whole elephant in one sitting" and can give your prospects time to digest information at their own pace. (Believe me - it makes a huge difference when people don't feel pressured in situations like these.)

Experience and research have shown that if you want more responses, it's best to not ask for a phone number on your "squeeze page." However if you do, even though the number of leads you attract may be smaller than if you didn't, they'll typically be much more responsive. They suspect that if they provide a phone number, someone will likely call them, and most people just don't like being called by anyone who they suspect is going to try to sell them something. It's common practice for people to enter a "wrong" phone number just to get to the information you're promising them by providing their contact info.

It's not unreasonable for you to expect to generate 20 to 30 - or more - leads per day using such a system, depending on how and where you advertise. Remember, these are "warm" leads, with a much higher "conversion rate" than most (if not all) leads purchased through a broker.

I can steer you to a no-cost video lead-generation system if you're interested. While the company that provides it will try to "upsell" you to buy a package with more features, the free version is capable of serving most peoples' needs until they're making enough money to afford the "upsell" - even at the "non-upsell" regular price.

If you're interested, just shoot me a PM here on BetterNetworker and I'll provide you with all of the details. Even though I could probably post my affiliate link here, I don't want to get into trouble with Carl!

Oh - the same offer goes to everyone else reading this thread as well. If you have any questions about it, please message me and we can take things from there.

Now I'm off to read your article. Hope this gives you a fresh perspective.

- "Digital" Don Hill -
No online business should be without these vital tools!
You won't believe what you get for such a LOW monthly investment!
(You're probably paying way MORE for just some of the same things!)
http://www.pureleverage.com/launch/6?id=DigitalDon
Don Hill
Company: GVO Hosting
Contribution Level: 2

Re: Buying "Opportunity Seeker" Leads From Lead Brokers?

Postby Rob Hammond on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Digital Don: I just have to give a shout out to you: your replies are epic!

And Pro Podium,
Just take a moment, kiss the ground, and be thankful that you have found Better Networker.
In just a short time of joining our friendly community, you will learn that, no matter how expensive of leads you buy and no matter where you buy them, you will never be able to build a business. It is 2011, and you HAVE to learn exactly how to use the internet to get your own leads.
Just build your own system, (carbon copy mine if you'd like; it's a very good system).
And once you have generated those leads, you have them for the rest of your life. Think about it: if you call a cold lead that you bought, and they say "I'm not interested", thats it. You're done.
If you get your own lead and one day you ask them to join your opportunity, and they don't, the next day you might be able to promote an affiliate product, and maybe they'll buy that. Maybe next month you offer another affiliate product, and maybe they'll buy that too. So you have so many more ways to generate money from your own list than from generic leads.
Welcome to BN, stop buying leads, and you'll be on a master-path to success.
Keep Rocking,
Rob
ProfitMAX+ Go Here and You'll Make at Least a Billion Dollars Instantly http://profitmaxplus.com
Rob Hammond
Company: Global Virtual Opportunities
Contribution Level: 4

Postby Shawn Brooks on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Jay,

I agree with "Rob" and as Rob called Don digital Don, that's funny.

Purchasing leads will always be a waste of money. Purchasing goes against the concept of not using the MLM companies system to collect the names. The company owns the database and therefore you have no list. Also, you do not know how these purchased leads were collected. I purchased leads once in my lifetime in the beginning and I found 1 person that joined out of 10 per day leads for a month, 5 that reviewed my information, several wrong numbers, and countless others that was talked to before I called them. (Hence, these leads are not exclusive after all) With that happening, the previous person all ready messed me up because he informed them that his program, a person has to purchase and house products to then sell. With the few that listen I had to get creative to tell them you do not have to purchase products right away just to get them to listen. You never want to be in a situation of cold calling.

When you learn how to produce your own leads, these people place their information into the system because of you. You attracted them, they know your voice and want to talk to you. You'll do better by creating a lead capture website or have it built, use PPC spending a little money to get there quickly, or use SEO technique to get there slowly but its free. I also marketed my information in key place and people called me. After all the word marketing is in affiliate, network, and multi-level. So you have to maket to get the leads.
My greatest purpose is to help people
Free exposure and lead generation to help build your business - get it FREE herehttp://www.ibotoolbox.com/invited.aspx?jid=1330
Shawn Brooks
Company: Organo Gold, Inc.

Re: You're Still BUYING Leads? Some Insight...

Postby Sebastian Latina on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:55 am

DigitalDon wrote:A lead-generation "funnel" isn't difficult to put together. In its basic form it consists of a "squeeze page" that's used to get people to provide you with their contact information, and an email autoresponder which immediately starts "following up" with your new "lead" by providing them with the information they asked for mere moments after they've asked you for it). Additionally, your autoresponder gives you the ability to automatically send additional emails - spaced over the course of days or weeks - which will continue to provide them with information for as long as they don't "unsubscribe" from your email list.

I totally agree. Anyone selling you leads is just making the profit for themselves and can care less for the sucker that buys them (please don't be insulted-I was a sucker too at one time). I've learned the hard way that there is a lot of time wasted via cold calling prospects. That time could be devoted into creating your own lead generation funnel. Creating your own funnel and generating your own leads is the greatest asset you can possess in this industry.
Social Media is all about sharing value & developing relationships...Let's give people what they're looking for - Click Here
Sebastian Latina
Company: North American Power and Gas, LLC

Postby Don Hill on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks for the compliment, Rob!

I must confess, I don't get that sort of response too often.

Someone told me once that it may be because the length of my posts scare away people who don't like to read. (It's a part of my "sorting process" :D )

Look forward to connecting!

@broogie:

Spot on, my friend! If you ask any "offline" business what their most valuable asset is, they'll tell you it's their "Rolodex™" - their database of customers and prospects. If someone does business with you it only makes sense that you would want them to buy from you again, and the best way for that is to keep in touch with them - so that you're always "top of mind" with them because you've shown them you care.

After all, it costs a lot less to keep a customer than it does to replace one!

And the best sales force you could ever hope for is a growing list of extremely satisfied customers. That's the core idea behind MLM/Network Marketing in the first place - the sequence should go like this:

You convince someone to become your customer
    Your customer buys your product
    Your customer uses your product
    Your customer loves your product - because you make sure they know how to use it right
    Your customer recommends your product to a friend - simply because they love it
    You give your customer the option to become a distributor and sell it to their friend, or
    You sell the product to their friend, thus gaining one more customer

By not pressuring the first customer to become a distributor, you end keep them as a happy (and repeat) customer. Your customer's friend ends up as a customer in your business regardless - either as your new customer or as your customer-turned-distributor's first customer. Either way, you're credited with the sales volume.

If a customer refers a number of other people who become customers themselves, you can then show them how it makes sense for them to become a distributor. You can then offer to "give" the customers they referred to you "back" to them, so they're off to a good start with their business.

In this manner, you'll start accumulating customers and distributors, in a much more "organic" fashion - with nobody ending up feeling misled or disillusioned. But no business will work if it doesn't have a competitive product or service - that's vital! (...and a topic for another time.)

(See, Rob! There I go again! Sometimes I just can't help myself! :lol: )

That's the whole MLM "game" in a nutshell. Too bad so many people try to make it so complicated!
No online business should be without these vital tools!
You won't believe what you get for such a LOW monthly investment!
(You're probably paying way MORE for just some of the same things!)
http://www.pureleverage.com/launch/6?id=DigitalDon
Don Hill
Company: GVO Hosting

Postby Sebastian Latina on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 am

DigitalDon wrote:
In this manner, you'll start accumulating customers and distributors, in a much more "organic" fashion - with nobody ending up feeling misled or disillusioned. But no business will work if it doesn't have a competitive product or service - that's vital! (...and a topic for another time.)

(See, Rob! There I go again! Sometimes I just can't help myself! :lol: )

That's the whole MLM "game" in a nutshell. Too bad so many people try to make it so complicated!

Great point Don! Unfortunately there are companies out there who teach their members to be vague during the inviting process. I've gone this route and seeing the expression on people's faces is kind of embarrassing. They think you're playing them for a fool. Lead with the product, after all that's what they are buying into anyways, business comes second.
Social Media is all about sharing value & developing relationships...Let's give people what they're looking for - Click Here
Sebastian Latina
Company: North American Power and Gas, LLC

Postby J. Hamilton on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41 am

Wow Don... well said. I agree with you an everyone else who commented. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I haven't bought leads for 10 years when I first started in network marketing. It didn't take long to see how these type of leads are collected and how the "lead" business works. In the article, I listed 10 reasons why lead brokers are a terrible idea. You guys just added more fuel to the argument. Great stuff! A lot of people are sucked into the "Free Leads" offer that brokers use to entice new converts. They're a win win for the broker because even if the people don't buy leads, they just became a lead for someone else. Crazy!!! That's why I put this at #1...

The #1 Thing That Lead Brokers DO NOT Tell You About THEIR “Opportunity Seeker” Leads is...
"We’ll give you FREE ‘Opportunity Seeker Leads’ So We Can Turn YOU Into A Hot, Unique, Premium, Exclusive, Fresh, Targeted… "Opportunity Seeker Lead!"

S. Brooks... I'm glad you mentioned the MLM Companies. I used to create replicated lead capture page systems for network marketing companies. The ones I created never had the leads go to the company - ONLY the rep got the lead. But now, I know that a lot of these companies are giving away free company-replicated lead capture pages where BOTH the rep and the company share the leads. You do not want to ever use free company-provided lead capture pages where your leads are not yours exclusively.

Another reason why it's bad to use company capture pages is the fact that they are replicated. Not only do you want to make sure that you are the ONLY person who is receiving the lead, you also don't want to spend time and money promoting a carbon-copied capture page that is being aggressively promoted by every other rep in the company. The best lead capture pages are those that are unique and personal. I stopped creating replicated capture pages for MLM companies about 6 years ago and developed a customizable lead capture page system instead, which lets users personalize their pages with their own content as well as with their prospects first and last name using personal URLs (PURLs). Personal URL Squeeze Pages and Landing Pages are extremely effective for increasing response rates. PM me and I'll send you a sample PURL link.

Rob...I like what you shared about leveraging your list. Very true. I've seen studies show only 2% of sales are made on the first contact and only 3% are made on the second contact. Most people need to be exposed to something at least 7 times before acting upon it.

Sebastian... I agree with you about not being too vague. But, at the same time, you don't want to give too much away in the beginning either. Those who have been the most successful with their personalized capture pages were those who gave away a single gold nugget of useful information upfront that generated enough curiosity to get visitors to want to opt-in.

A great way to do this is by adding a short personal video on your capture page. With the video, you want to create an "ah-ha!" moment - something that really excites your visitors! Reveal a secret... Offer a unique approach... Share an amazing success story... etc... Create a compelling hook... and then give them all the specific details after they opt-in. And, you probably don't want to do this all at once. Let it build. Create a series of follow-up emails that offer valuable content your prospects can use, along with your promotions. I love inserting Personal URL links in these follow-up messages. It's amazing to see how many more people will click on the link when they see their name in the URL.

Again, thanks guys for sharing your valuable insights. Good stuff!

P.S. Don, I usually don't write such long messages. I guess your convictions and enthusiasm inspired me. ;)
J. Hamilton
Contribution Level: 1

Postby David Nieuwenhoven on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Buying leads can be a great way to start if done properly and depending on the opportunity you are in.

Purchased leads can actually be good especially if you don’t have a lot of time to learn marketing skills.

Absolutely there are different types of leads, some that have been regurgitated many times over and have questionable sourcing but I have had great success with buying leads from lead suppliers especially when you market a higher end product.

The best leads are always the ones you generate yourself though as you target the people you want in your business, however a lot of people are followers and not leaders and if you direct them to your opportunity rather than them searching they may find it easier.

Also learning to market so leads come to you takes a lot of time and many weeks or months and if someone is not that computer savvy I found that this puts off a lot of people.

When I started in my direct sales business if my sponsor told me that I had to learn to become a marketer on the internet I would have never joined.

Also buying leads get people up and going straight away instead of procrastinating and having to buy all different programs before they can start their business.

When I start people in my direct sales business I tell them if they have a lot of time then they can learn to market themselves and get them in MLSP, but it will take awhile before they make a profit which puts a lot of people off.

Where as if I say to a prospect you need to spend for example $300 on lead buying for every $1000 you make but you could make that money straight away many people take option 2.

It does depend on the industry you are in though and what you are selling as a low ticket price opportunity requires as many leads as a high ticket opportunity so the low ticket one means lead buying would be pricey.

Most businesses you still need to talk to people these days and that means you will be making phone calls so training your team the right way to talk to prospects can increase your conversions.

Personally I spent way too much time learning how to be a marketer instead of just picking up the phone and calling people who were looking for a business.
David Nieuwenhoven
Contribution Level: 3

Return to Main MLM Discussion